Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can you remove Objectives?

Hello,

Can you remove objectives after you've completed them? If so, is there any way to make the objective move a slot up? I just think that'd look nicer than leaving empty slots when an objective is done.

Edit: After research, I feel like there is no way to do it. It looks like I might have to script it (which I am very very bad at, so please help if you can). I read that I need to use Unity UI to do this. I am using images to show my objectives. If I use Unity UI what do I put in the button field? Do I just make an empty button UI object?

Comments

• An InventoryBox set to display Objectives has an "Objectives to display" property that can be used to only show e.g. active objectives. How does this differ from what you're looking to achieve?

As this is a visual problem, any screenshots you can share to illustrate the situation will help clarify what's going on.

• edited July 2022

Yeah sure. Let me explain.

So, there is a hunger and thirst system in my adventure game. When the hunger or thirst meter go under the value of 20, these two icons show up in the corner.

When I click on a hotspot to drink or eat, and increase the value enough to go above 20, I want the objective to disappear. This is the workflow I used to try and make that happen.

If I ask the program check to see if the objective is completed, there is no option to remove the objective in the Objective menu. Only "check state", "check state type" and "set".

On another note...

You see the Hunger icon in my first picture? For whatever reason, during the time I was taking screenshots, it stopped working. Just doesn't show up when my variable is below 20. It's an invisible icon. I checked the Hunger variable and it does indeed go down over time.

Just to show there is an image attached to the objective....

Not sure if these two problems are connected. I did just update Unity. Figured I'd add that.

Edit: Okay so I just got these errors. I am assuming this is the problem?

• Objectives aren't something you can delete - they're just a state that can be changed.

If the Objective relates to the player needing to overcome their hunger, you can use the Objective: Set Action to mark the Objective as completed once they've eaten something. You can then configure the Menu in the corner to only show "Active" Objectives, so that a completed Objective never shows.

Since you're just using the Objectives system to show an icon, it's also possible to rely instead on the Inventory system to convey this information. If you create two separate Categories in the Inventory Manager ("Normal", and e.g. "Player stats"), you can then use the Normal category for your regular items, and then create "Hunger" and "Thirst" items placed in the new "Player stats" category.

InventoryBox elements can be set to display items in a particular category, so displaying the icons would then just be a case of using an InventoryBox element to display items in the "Player stats" category (and updating your regular Inventory to only show "Normal" items).

This way, you can use the Inventory: Add or remove Actions to show/hide the hunger/thirst icons.

Edit: Okay so I just got these errors. I am assuming this is the problem?

The warnings relate to missing Menus and Elements - e.g. the element "SelectedTitle" in a menu named "Objectives".

Check that this menu hasn't been deleted, and that your Menu Manager isn't pointing to a different Menu Manager asset file than the one created by the New Game Wizard.

If it is, you can re-assign it via the ManagerPackage file in your game's subfolder - see the Manual's "Updating Adventure Creator" chapter for details.