Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can you put prefab in Timeline?

Hello,

I would like a character to spawn in the scene and then partake in a timeline sequence. The problem is, I can't seem to add prefabs to timelines.

Also, can you have hotspots on prefabs? When I do, the interaction always gets removed from the hotspot inspector.

Comments

• I would like a character to spawn in the scene and then partake in a timeline sequence. The problem is, I can't seem to add prefabs to timelines.

A Timeline can only affect the objects it directly references. AC's Object: Control Timeline Action, however, can remap bindings at runtime.

While editing the Timeline, place the prefab into the scene and bind that scene object to the Timeline track. When finished editing, attach a Constant ID component to the object, check Retain in prefab?, update the prefab and remove from the scene. Then in the Action, check Remap bindings? and map the prefab to the Timeline track in question.

The remapping of Timeline track bindings is covered at this point in the 3D tutorial.

Also, can you have hotspots on prefabs? When I do, the interaction always gets removed from the hotspot inspector.

Scene-based ActionLists, such as Interations, cannot exist in prefabs. You can, however, have a Hotspot rely on ActionList asset files for its Interactions. To do this, set the Hotspot Inspector's Interaction source field to Asset File.

• Is ActionList file different than making an actionlist? I made one but it doesn't go into the interaction source field.

• An ActionList asset/file is different in that it can be run from any scene.

Hotspot Inspector fields default to type "Interaction", but you can change this by setting its Interaction source field to Asset File.