Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera resets position when Player enters scene

Hi,

I've setup a Camera with Coordinates (0, 5, -10) and enabled lock-Y, follow Player character.

When I start the scene from the Editor it works as expected. Camera only follows Player on the X axis, Y stays put.
But when I enter the scene from another room the Y position got reset to 0.

I guess it is related to the Player not spawned in the scene when the Camera inits itself.
Any ideas for a hotfix?

Best.
Alex

Comments

• In GameCamera.cs line 132
    if (!haveSetOriginalPosition && backgroundConstraint && Camera.orthographic && (limitHorizontal || limitVertical) && Target) {
    Transform.position = new Vector3 (0f, 0f, Transform.position.z);
    }

I think it is a bug because it resets both x and y coordinate to zero.
    It should make a distinction if limitHorizontal or limitVertical is false and only reset the respective axis.

• edited October 2022

I tried to fix it by only resetting the axis which is not locked. This works during gameplay. But when I save and load from another scene, the axis gets resetted again / camera works not properly.

Please help.

• I think it is a bug because it resets both x and y coordinate to zero.

Could well be, though I'll need to recreate the original issue to confirm.

It sounds like you're using a Background Constraint to restrict the camera's movement - is this the case?

Please share your AC/Unity versions, as well as the full Inspector of the GameCamera.

• Yes, Background Constraint is set. Camera is inside the constraint.

AC Version: v1.75.4
    Unity: 2020.3.33f1

Screenshot of Camera: https://www.dropbox.com/s/udh8t2qzeq4pazu/Camera-Inspector-Screenshot 2022-10-18 110557.png

• Thank you, I will look into this.

• This may be similar to what you've corrected already, but here's a replacement for the GameCamera2D's ForceRecordOriginalPosition function:

public void ForceRecordOriginalPosition ()
    {
        if (!haveSetOriginalPosition && backgroundConstraint && Camera.orthographic && (limitHorizontal || limitVertical) && Target)
        {
            if (limitHorizontal && limitVertical)
            {
                Transform.position = new Vector3 (0f, 0f, Transform.position.z);
            }
            else if (limitHorizontal)
            {
                Transform.position = new Vector3 (0f, Transform.position.y, Transform.position.z);
            }
            else if (limitVertical)
            {
                Transform.position = new Vector3 (Transform.position.x, 0f, Transform.position.z);
            }
        }

originalPosition = Transform.position;
        haveSetOriginalPosition = true;
    }

I can't reproduce the issue of the camera resetting upon loading - but be sure to attach a Constant ID component to your camera. You should be seeing a Console warning about this not being present after loading.

• edited October 2022

Thanks Chris!

Constant ID did the trick for saving and loading!

Yes, your code is similar to mine. But I think you mixed up the resetting values in your script. When limitHorizontal is set then it should keep its x-position and not resets it to 0. Likewise with limitVertical.

Best.
    Alex

• edited October 2022

When limitHorizontal is set, then the position is determined by the background constraint. The position in that direction needs to be zero'd, while the un-constrained axis should be unaffected.

• edited October 2022

Ah of course. I mixed it up sorry! :#

What I actually meant was not limitHorizontal/Vertical but lockHorizontal/Vertical.

I fixed it like this:

if (!haveSetOriginalPosition && backgroundConstraint && Camera.orthographic && (limitHorizontal || limitVertical) && Target)
    {
        Vector3 pos = Transform.position;

Transform.position = new Vector3 (lockHorizontal? pos.x : 0, lockVertical? pos.y : 0f, Transform.position.z);
    }

• Understood, thanks.