Forum rules - please read before posting.

Loading a save game doesn't show Menu changes?

[AC v1.75.8 - Unity 2021.3.11f1]

Hi Chris!

I use a Unity Prefab as source for my Pause Menu. I wanted to update such menu by enabling a button I kept disabled for a long time (a "Debug" button), I've both enabled its GameObject in the Prefab and its "Is visible?" state in the Menu manager.

When starting a new game from scratch the button is correctly visible, but it isn't when I load a save game from before I made such change to the Menu.

I tried doing all of the following:

• resetting the button's ConstantID, retaining it into the Prefab, then reassigning it to the related Button in the Menu manager
  • resetting the Panel's ConstantID, retaining it into the prefab, then reassigning it to the related RectTransform boundary in the Menu manager

but neither worked.

Did I left something out in the process?

Thanks a lot as always,
Chris

Comments

• If the Element's visibility is reverting to its state at the time the save was recorded, then it's working as intended: Menu and Element visibility states are recorded in save-game files.

If you wanted to avoid this, you either:

• Un-link it from the Menu Manager by deleting the Button element
    • Use a Global Bool variable, linked to Options Data, to keep track of what the visiblity state should be (options variables are independent of save-games) and then assign an "ActionList after loading" to set the visibility to the correct state based on its value
  • Oh, I see!

I'm sorry if this is out of the scope for AC, but - if it's not the same as the second method you listed - what would be an ideal approach for bugfixes and\or added functionality for Menus, if one wanted to keep making use of AC's Menu manager?

• Could you give an example of such functionality?

• edited October 2022

Consider all of the following cases as involving Unity Prefabs as sources!

A scenario that came to mind is: after the release I realize I need to add an accessibility option - that wasn't there before - to my OptionsUI or an entire submenu to my PauseUI. How can I make sure that this update rolls out for all players, old and new?

The current actual case scenario is not much of a big deal, because we're still deep into production: my PauseUI menu has a Debug button that I had eventually disabled when we released the demo for our game on Steam during a festival. Now we actually need it back, so I wanted to reenable it.

It's ok because we don't really NEED to load previous saves (although I use them to quickly test some situations), but yeah, I started wondering about possible futures!

I hope it's clearer now.
    Nonetheless, thanks as always!

• Thanks for the details.

When applying save-game data to the Menu system, only data for Menus that exist in the save-data will be affected.

If you create a save file, and then update your UI by adding a new Menu or Element, then those additions won't be affected by loading that save file.

If you were in a situation were you wanted to force a particular Menu or Element state after loading a save file, regardless of its data, you could do so by running an ActionList after the loading process. This can be assigned inside the SavesList menu element, or by having a script hook into the OnFinishLoading custom event.

• Thank you!

I shall look into the OnFinishLoading method if the case ever requires it.