Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC follow - but always stay on left side of Player

Hi

I was just wondering if there was some easy shortcut to making an NPC follow my player character, but in the following way:
The NPC stays on the same side (left) of the player all the time at a certain distance. So when the player walks right, the NPC will follow at X distance. When the player walks left the NPC will move left immediately and keep the X distance from the player, instead of letting the player pass him and then follow.
Maybe there is a comparatively simple way to achieve this by editing the existing NPC follow code...?

Comments

• This should be possible with a custom script, attached to the NPC, which works by moving the NPC to a set distance from the Player whenever the Player moves.

This would replace the use of AC's Character: NPC follow Action, so you'd need to remove those for it to take effect:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class NPCFollowOffset : MonoBehaviour
    {

public NPC npc;
        public float offsetDistance;

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnCharacterSetPath += OnCharacterSetPath; }
        private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnCharacterSetPath -= OnCharacterSetPath; }

private void OnCharacterSetPath (Char character, Paths path)
        {
            if (character == KickStarter.player)
            {
                Vector3 npcPosition = path.Destination + Vector3.right * offsetDistance;
                npc.MoveToPoint (npcPosition);
            }
        }

}

• Yes, that works perfectly for me.
    Thanks for great help as always!