Forum rules - please read before posting.

Point and Click issue

I am creating a 3D Point and Click game using a non-animated player that is moving on a table like a table top game.
I baked the Navmesh and in general it is working.
But I see two issues:
1. The player is only moving when the mouse click is done in a distance of approx. half display length. Smaller distances of mouse pointer and player will be ignored.
2. I had to use the "old style" point and click movement. Without this, using standard Point and click movement, the player is moving only a little but not moving to the point that was marked with the mouse click.

Is this potentially caused by the Navmesh being pretty small like the length of the table? The length of the navmesh is only approx. 1.5m (unity length unit).
I had also to change the parameter for baking the Navmesh. With standard settings it was not baking at all.

Do I have to scale the whole scene up?
Any other idea to cover these issues?

Thank you in advance.
I am new with unity and Adventure creator and any help is highly appreciated.

Comments

• edited January 2023

Welcome to the community, @Andreas.

It does sound like a scaling issue. AC's default movement values (including "how close is close enough") are based on the assumption that a character is of standard height in real-world units.

How large is your character compared with, e.g. TinPot from the 3D Demo game?

You can try raising the Settings Manager's Destination accuracy slider, but if your scale is very small in comparison, I'd recommend scaling things up, as you may have other issues related to Unity's physics system if things are smaller than they should be.

• Thank you, this is what I thought. My character height is only approx. 10 cm like a tabletop miniature.
    So I will scale everything up so that the character will show normal human size.

• So, I created everything new from scratch and scaled everything so that the player character shows normal human size and the world in relation to it.
    I have a simple Navmesh created on a plane as a square and it is correct showing in blue color. The ground is specified as static navmesh layer. The player shows the path script in the inspector.
    But the player is not moving in Point and Click mode.
    It is moving fine in direct mode or straight to cursor but is not moving at all in point and click mode.
    What I am missing?
    The player is not using any animation. Can this be the reason?
    Any help is highly appreciated.
    Thank you

• edited January 2023

The two main things to check for would be:

1. That the floor has a Collider and is on the NavMesh layer.
    2. If the Player has an Animator component (but no animation), that its Apply Root Motion box is unchecked.

If these are both already the case, try dropping the 3D Demo game's Player, Tin Pot, into the scene. A Player present in the scene will override the one assigned as your default in the Settings Manager - does Tin Pot have the same problem?

• Chris,
    thank you for your input.

So the floor plane has a mesh collider and Apply root motion of the player is uncheked.

Then I draged TinPot to the scene and he behaved exactly like my own player.
    Tin Pot is moving fine in direct mode but not in Point and Click.

This is really strange and frustrating.

Do you have any idea waht is missing?

• And the floor plane is on layer navmesh static.

• I got it!
    I was mixing this static navmesh setting with the Navmesh Layer.
    This was quite confusing for me. Now the Layer is set to Navmesh and it is running fine.
    I am sorry for this maybe stupid questions but I am completely new with unity and AC.
    Thank you for your great help.
    Now I can move forward.