Forum rules - please read before posting.

3D Mobile RPG Video Game -> Hotspots not working

When I enable a hotspot and go through the steps through AC, it does not work when starting the game. I can press on the hotspot of the NPC and nothing will happen. I also tried the Quest Machine integration method and the quests would not function as well.

I must be missing a step somewhere.

The Process:
1. Filled out the fields for the hotspot component on the NPC, such as name, camera, marker, and interaction
2. Filled out the Inventory component and listed which Inventory item I needed. (In this case, as a "quest" I wanted the player to pick up some food items before going on a journey.)
3. Within the inventory actionlist panel, I said camera switch: q1cam -> dialog: player [insert dialog here]
4. Go to Game Mode and drag player to npc, press on npc, and nothing displays.

TLDR: Need help in getting hotspots to function in 3d mobile video game.

Comments

• Does the name of the Hotspot appear when clicking/tapping them? There is a difference between a Hotspot's interactivity, and the interaction it produces.

To keep things simple for the moment, set up the Interaction ActionList to run a single Dialogue: Play speech Action - or some other Action that can be used to easily identify if it's running correctly. Don't involve any other assets for the moment.

To check that the Interaction itself runs correctly, you can click the Run now button in its Inspector while in Play Mode.

How a Hotspot is interacted with depends on your game's chosen Interaction method, as set in the Settings Manager. Descriptions of each of the available options can be found in the Manual's "Interaction methods" chapter.

You'll also need to have your Hotspot set up correctly with a Collider. Unassign the Hotspot's Limit to camera field for the moment - that will cause it to only be interactive when that particular camera is active.

As Hotspot interactivity depends on both global and per-Hotspot settings, there're a fair few things that could cause an issue - without seeing your exact set up, I can only offer general advice.

If you can, share screenshots of your full Settings Manager and the Hotspot's Inspector, and I'll try to see what the issue is.

• Here is the link to the Settings picture and Hotspot. https://imgur.com/a/l7VSMdL

It will go to an album with the screenshot of all the images. Thank you!

• Thanks for the details - can you share the Inspector of the Hotspot's full GameObject? Apologies, I didn't mean just the Hotspot component itself.

Does the name of the Hotspot appear when clicking/tapping them, and are you testing in the Unity Editor?

For the moment, clear the Hotspot's Limit to camera field, so that it will be interactive regardless of which camera is currently active.

Your Hotspot currently has no Use interaction defined - only an Inventory interaction. This means that it will only be interactive if the "Milk" Inventory item is currently selected - which can be done by clicking/tapping it in the Inventory menu.

As a test, create a new Use interaction - you can assign the existing "Justin: Bag of chips" Interaction in its Interaction field. Does that run when the Hotspot is clicked/tapped?

• Thank you. I went in a different direction and used the crafting method from AC instead of quests. But the suggestion for the hotspot interaction did work when being implemented in the new design I am working on now. I just had to use the Use interaction. Thank you so much for your time and help.