Forum rules - please read before posting.

Generic "You can't use that here" message?

Does AC have a built in way to have a generic error message whenever the player tries to use items on things/npc's that have no effect?

Comments

• It does - in AC terminology, these are referred to as "Unhandled" interactions. There are three kinds you can define, when it comes to Item/Hotspot combinations:

1. You can create a generic response under the Inventory Manager's "Global unhandled events" panel, at the top of the Items tab. The "Use on Hotspot" ActionList, if set, will run whenever any Item is used on any Hotspot, unless something more specific is set for that Item or Hotspot.

2. If you want a generic response to display for a specific Item (e.g. a paint brush where the generic response is "That doesn't need painting"), you can define this in the Item's "Unhandled interactions" panel inside their list of properties.

3. If you want a generic response to display for a specific Hotspot (e.g. a trader NPC where the generic response is "I don't think they'll want to buy that"), you can define this under the Hotspot's "Unhandled Inventory interaction" panel.

• edited April 2023

Chris, is it possible to add multiple generic responses that AC will use at random?
    My 'Inventory Global Unhandled Events' just says 'That doesn't work' to everything and it could be nice if AC could switch between other sentences like 'I can't do that' or 'That's not possible' ect.

• Yes - begin the ActionList with a Variable: Check random number, and having each output socket re-route to a different Dialogue: Play speech Action.

• Aaah ofcause, thanks Chris.

• If I'm reading the thread correctly, I believe an example of something similar to this is shown in the Adventure Creator: First-person primer () and time marker 37:06....hope that helps