Forum rules - please read before posting.

Action lists assets disappeared

Maybe I'm the only one that has had this happened, but I must have pressed something so the Asset folder "Action lists" where I had stored all ActionList assets disappeared. When checking deleted items I had a Meta file "Action list" that I tried to restore to original location, but nothing happens. There are no other files in my Deleted Files folder on the PC. Are they gone or is there any way to recover them?

Comments

• Actually all actions disappeard. From the scene as well :-(

• Did you delete your asset folder by mistake?

The Meta file is necessary, but not the asset itself - you'd need to restore the folder asset itself as well. Unity should move both to the Recycle bin, but AC won't be strictly involved here.

So far as the scene Actions go, what's the exact situation? Are the GameObjects themselves missing, or are your ActionList objects present but empty?

If the latter, did you save the scene while facing a compilation error in the Unity Console? This can cause ActionList data loss due to the way Unity works. AC does attempt a workaround in the form of the Action data -> Restore option you can access by clicking the cog icon in an ActionList's Inspector. If backup data exists, it'll be restored by clicking this.

Generally speaking, I strongly recommend the use of version controll when working with any Unity project - as this can be used to restore a project that suffers file/data loss.

• All action lists in the asset folder are gone. Including the folder itself(?). For the scene based actionlists, they are there but all are empty. Yes, I managed to get scene based actions back through Restore, but I have no idea where the Assets based ones went.
    On a positive note, I've only worked with AC for 3 months, so this gives me the opportunity to redo Action lists (100+) in a more efficient way. (think positive!)

The only "worry" still left is that I received a compiler error on the ActionTransformRecord.cs file right afterwards.

https://imgur.com/ytwTQ2M

I've deleted this action for now and no errors, but very strange that only this one generates the error.

Thank you also for the answer in my other thread! Will need to recreate some things before I can use it though.

• The only "worry" still left is that I received a compiler error on the ActionTransformRecord.cs file right afterwards.

Looks like a case of a duplicated file - did you copy this before editing to create a new Action script? The file you've deleted looks to be the original, so you ought to find the second one and remove that instead - otherwise the error will likely return upon updating AC.

• Yes, that was it! The duplicate is changed and the original ActionTransformRecord is re-imported. All good! Big thanks!