Forum rules - please read before posting.

Switch headbob on and off

edited June 2023 in Technical Q&A

I want to be able to switch headbobbing on or off from the options menu, how would this be done correctly? I played around with the first person camera script for a bit

public void SetHeadbob() { if (headBob == true) { headBob = false; } else { headBob = true; } }

This works well enough but if the character is moving while its switched off the animation for the headbob stays on loop, and the selection isn't saving when loading a game.

Comments

• If you're using the Custom Animation method, you can use an Animator Bool parameter and Transition to enter/exit your head-bobbing animation state.

If you're instead using Built In, you could instead control the amplitude of the head-bob by affecting its bobbingAmount property:

GetComponent<FirstPersonCamera> ().bobbingAmount = 0f;

To save this value in your save-game, a custom Remember script would be needed. I can advise further on this, but let's see if the above is the right approach for you first.

• I'm using Custom Animation method, I'm just unsure how to deal with the animator stuff as I couldn't get the bool value to change.

• A Bool parameter can be changed with the Object: Animate Action, setting the Animation engine to Mecanim.

• edited June 2023

Right, my first instinct was to fiddle around with the code. Do I still need my original code for it to work? I'm trying to see if the value changes in the animator window but I can't see any changes. I was looking at the wrong place apparently.

• No code should be needed. When dealing with the Animator, the animation playback is based on parameter values.

• How do I set up the parameter and transition correctly? I've been trying but for the life of me can't get it working properly. I'm using the downloadable first person player prefab as a base for my character.

• Create a Bool parameter in the Animator named e.g. "Stop Headbob", and also add a new empty state in the Base layer.

Then create a transition from "Any State" to this new empty state, with "Stop Headbob = true" as a condition.

From the empty state to "Idle", do the opposite - a transition with "Stop Headbob = false".

You can then use the Object: Animate Action to set the value of "Stop Headbob".

• edited June 2023

Right, that works. Thanks Chris! Did this method need any custom saving to remember the change?

• If you want to save the state of the "Stop Headbob" parameter, attach AC's Remember Animator component - that'll keep a record of all the Animator's parameter values.