Forum rules - please read before posting.

Make music as addressable.

Hi my build of Android is including music files in the build which is causing my build size to increase. But I want ot load my music files from addressables so that my build size can be reduced. How can I do this?

It shows that music files are used by SettingsManager.asset which is used by References.asset so they were included in build.

Comments

• edited July 2023

You can define Music tracks (with labels) in the Editor, but leave the actual "Clip" asset field blank - and populate it at runtime via a custom script.

As with any Manager/Editor field, you can get an API reference to it by right-clicking the field's label, i.e.:

AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.musicStorages[2].audioClip = myAudioClip;

A typical script, with public functions to preload and assign clips, would look something like this:

using UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations;
    using UnityEngine.AddressableAssets;
    using System.Collections;
    using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class MusicAddressables : MonoBehaviour
    {

[SerializeField] private MusicAddressable[] musicAddressables = new MusicAddressable[0];

public void Assign (int trackID)
        {
            foreach (MusicAddressable musicAddressable in musicAddressables)
            {
                if (musicAddressable.trackID == trackID) StartCoroutine (AssignCo (musicAddressable));
            }
        }

public void AssignAll ()
        {
            {
                StartCoroutine (AssignCo (musicAddressable));
            }
        }

public void Preload (int trackID)
        {
            {
                if (musicAddressable.trackID == trackID) StartCoroutine (PreloadCo (musicAddressable));
            }
        }

public void PreloadAll ()
        {
            {
                StartCoroutine (PreloadCo (musicAddressable));
            }
        }

private IEnumerator PreloadCo (MusicAddressable musicAddressable)
        {
            if (!musicAddressable.handle.IsValid ())
            {
                AsyncOperationHandle<AudioClip> handle = Addressables.LoadAssetAsync<AudioClip> (musicAddressable.reference);
                yield return handle;
                musicAddressable.handle = handle;
            }
        }

private void OnDisable ()
        {
            {
                musicAddressable.Reset ();
            }
        }

private IEnumerator AssignCo (MusicAddressable musicAddressable)
        {
            if (!musicAddressable.handle.IsValid ())
            {
                AsyncOperationHandle<AudioClip> handle = Addressables.LoadAssetAsync<AudioClip> (musicAddressable.reference);
                yield return handle;
                musicAddressable.handle = handle;
            }

musicAddressable.Assign ();
        }

[System.Serializable]
        private class MusicAddressable
        {

public int trackID;
            public AssetReference reference;
            public AsyncOperationHandle<AudioClip> handle;

public void Assign ()
            {
                if (handle.Status == AsyncOperationStatus.Succeeded && handle.Result != null)
                {
                    KickStarter.settingsManager.musicStorages[trackID].audioClip = handle.Result;
                }
            }

public void Reset ()
            {
                if (handle.Status == AsyncOperationStatus.Succeeded && handle.Result != null)
                {
                    Addressables.Release (handle);
                }
                KickStarter.settingsManager.musicStorages[trackID].audioClip = null;
            }

}

}

• edited July 2023

I get these warning and errors. I created a script named "MusicAddressables" and assigned it to a game object. Then I assigned the addressable audio files in the fields. Left the Music Storage fields empty.

Screenshot of my setup. https://imgur.com/a/pfaYYgo

Cannot play _Music - no AudioClip assigned to track 11!

Exception: Attempting to use an invalid operation handle
    UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle.get_InternalOp () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.19.19/Runtime/ResourceManager/AsyncOperations/AsyncOperationHandle.cs:454)
    UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle.Release () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.19.19/Runtime/ResourceManager/AsyncOperations/AsyncOperationHandle.cs:525)
    UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.ResourceManager.Release (UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle handle) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.19.19/Runtime/ResourceManager/ResourceManager.cs:603)
    UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.AddressablesImpl.Release[TObject] (UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle`1[TObject] handle) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.19.19/Runtime/AddressablesImpl.cs:833)
    UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Addressables.Release[TObject] (UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle`1[TObject] handle) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@1.19.19/Runtime/Addressables.cs:1258)
    MusicAddressables+MusicAddressable.Reset () (at Assets/MM/MusicAddressables.cs:92)
    MusicAddressables.OnDisable () (at Assets/MM/MusicAddressables.cs:58)

• I've updated the above - it should remove the error now.

You will still need to load your music addressable at the intended time, however. If you make the GameObject the script is attached to a prefab, you can use the Object: Call event Action to reference that prefab and call its Assign / AssignAll functions as needed.

• Should I add the action Object: Call event for every scene or just the first one?

• Thank you Chris, it works perfectly in the editor. Checking on Android and will let you know about how it is.

• Should I add the action Object: Call event for every scene or just the first one?

Once a track has been assigned, it won't need to be again for the duration of that build.

With some slight tweaking, I've gone and made this a page on the AC wiki:
    https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Music_track_addressables

• Thanks Chris, you are awesome.