Forum rules - please read before posting.

Global string variable tokens are no longer displayed

edited July 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hello.
Sry for my english.

I have a Unity UI Based Menus with Label Menu Elements with a global variable tokens.
Everything always worked correctly.

But at some point the menus stopped displaying text from these variables after updating with Action Lists.
I am setting a new value of a text variable using Set Action. I can see in AC Game Editor that the value has been updated at tuntime. But the new value does not appear in the text window. The window remains empty. If the value is not updated, then initial value will be displayed correctly. This happened simultaneously with all the menus.

I ran a working backup of the project, but the problem persisted. I have updated AC and Unity, but the problem persists. It's some kind of magic.

If you build a project, then everything is displayed correctly. But in the Game and Scene windows, the text windows remain empty.

Thx.

Comments

• edited July 2023

If there is an int token instead of a string variable, then everything will be displayed correctly. Pop Up variables are also not displayed.

At the same time, the Language Cycle is displayed correctly in the menu. Apparently, global string variables stop being displayed after setting some value via ActionLists.

• The problem is solved if you create a new empty project and import the full package from the current one there. But I still don't understand the roots of this problem. If you can tell me, I will be grateful. Thx

• What is your AC version, and is the game running in the first language, or a translation?

If the Variable can be translated, check the Speech Manager for the "Variable: Set" Action's new text - it may be that the translation itself is empty.

Otherwise, check the Text component in the Inspector - what does it display there?

• edited July 2023

Thanks.

After I clicked on the "Reset Text" button in "SpeechManager", the problem was solved in the project, as well as in all backups where I did not click on this button.