Forum rules - please read before posting.

How do you "back-up" your project?

edited December 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hi everyone, sorry if this is too easy/obvious but how do you back up your project. In the manual and asset store there is a lot of mention of backing up your project but how do you do it exactly?

Edit: Some background, so I used AC and Unity when I was in High School, but later accidentally deleted and when I try to recover the assets where not "tethered" properly I guess, but that computer is now wiped for unrelated reasons (had to do a hard reset because there was something wrong with it). Now I want to start using it again, I want to be super safe and take all the precautions I can.

Comments

• edited December 2023

If you copy/zip your project's folder, that's all you need to have a full working copy. There are no dependencies outside that folder.

But I really, really can't recommend using a version control system enough. The studios where I've worked usually used Perforce, but for personal projects I just use Git and upload to Github. It's easy to set up, and Github Desktop gives you a very simple GUI. You can't really go wrong with Git unless your assets are huge.

• +1 for version control - once you get the hang of it, there really is no comparison.