Forum rules - please read before posting.

Implementing a "Quick Turn"

I'm working on a tank-control 3d game and I'd like to use active input to implement a quick-turn feature, like seen in the old Resident Evil games (from 3 onwards I believe) so the player can do a quick 180.

I know we already have a turn to face action, and I guess I can play an animation that coincides with it, but the way I understand it is, just playing the animation wouldn't really turn the character, it would just play the animation. Also AC already has a turn parameter used for regular turning movement, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Comments

• edited January 17

//code didn't quite work

• You can quick-turn the Player by calling their SetLookDirection function, passing in the inverse of their forward direction:

AC.KickStarter.player.SetLookDirection (-AC.KickStarter.player.transform.forward, false);

To call this from an Active Input, place in a public function in a new C# script, attach to a GameObject and make it a prefab. Then call this prefab's function using the Object: Call event Action as part of that Active Input's ActionList.

• Thanks Chris I'll give it a go. I always thought Call Event couldn't be used on prefabs in ActionList Assets though?

• They can reference a prefab, but not use the Constant ID system to have it refer to the prefab's scene instance at runtime.

In this case, however, you don't need it to - as the script/prefab accesses the Player only through static references.