Forum rules - please read before posting.

Turning Mode "Independent" definition

Hello! Just wondering what Independent turning mode is, since I can't find any mention of it in the manual.

It seems to do what I'm after for facing directions under Direct Control, but vertical movement seems to be locked when it's set?

Any help much appreciated :)

Comments

• Essentially it means that the character's facing direction is separate from their movement direction.

The opposite of this is the "Turning Circle" option, where the character will always "move forward" as they turn, meaning they'll move perpendicular to the target direction for a few frames if they have to turn around.

With "Independent", this doesn't happen - turning around will cause them to simply move towards the target direction.

vertical movement seems to be locked when it's set?

Movement will occur in the input direction aligned to the camera - what's your AC version and camera orientation?

• Aaaah okay. Interesting.

Latest AC. Cam is 2D orthographic, moving and turning set to Unity2D.

• Recreated - yep, it's a bug. Set it to Snap for the moment, and I'll look into a fix.

• Turns out this is a simple fix.

Open up PlayerMovement.cs, and replace the line:

KickStarter.player.SetMoveDirection (cameraAlignedInput, true);

with:

if (SceneSettings.IsUnity2D ())
    {
        KickStarter.player.SetMoveDirection ((moveKeys.y * KickStarter.CameraMainTransform.up) + (moveKeys.x * KickStarter.CameraMainTransform.right), true);
    }
    else
    {
        KickStarter.player.SetMoveDirection (cameraAlignedInput, true);
    }

• Ah, you're a hero. Works a charm, thank you :)