Forum rules - please read before posting.

Multi-Floor NavMesh Pathfinding

Unity 20223.1f1
Adventure Creator v1.79.3
3d point and click

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a 3D point and click project in Unity using Adventure Creator and have come across a challenging pathfinding issue.

Problem Description:
My level consists of two floors, with a ladder connecting them. The character can climb the ladder to the second floor without any problems. However, once on the second floor, the pathfinding doesn't work correctly. When I click on the NavMesh to move the character while they are on the second floor, the pathfinding seems to reference the ground floor's NavMesh instead of the second floor's. This results in incorrect navigation on the second floor.

What I've Tried:

Ensured that each floor has its own distinct NavMesh.
Checked for overlaps or conflicts between the NavMeshes of the two floors.
Configured transitions around the ladder area.
Experimented with disabling/enabling the NavMesh surface component and the NavMesh game object for each floor to manage active NavMeshes.

My Questions:

How can I ensure that the character uses the correct NavMesh on the second floor after climbing the ladder?
Are there specific settings or methods in Adventure Creator or methods in Unity to handle multi-level NavMesh pathfinding, especially when dealing with vertical transitions such as ladders?

I would greatly appreciate any tips, tutorials, or advice to help resolve this. I'm relatively new to implementing NavMesh in a multi-floor context, especially with elements like ladders. Any guidance on best practices or known pitfalls would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Comments

• We'll need to see if this is an issue with point-and-click movement, or with pathfinding in general.

Place a Marker somewhere on the top level, and - when the Player is up there - run a Character: Move to point Action that moves them there. Are they able to navigate there correctly?

If so, check the layer your floor is on. For point-and-click, it'll need to be on the NavMesh layer. You might want to change this layer dynamically depending on which floor the Player is on - or block raycasts to it with Default colliders.

• I hadn't added the NavMesh layer to the second floor, sorry for wasting your time Chris.