Forum rules - please read before posting.

Strange character movement after upgrade from AC v1.78.4 to 1.79.3

Hello Chris and community,

first of all, I hope all of you are fine. :-)

Today, I wanted to upgrade AC to the latest version. I had v1.78.4 installed and wanted to upgrade to v1.79.3. I did this many times before and I also had a look to the upgrade notes, but couldn't see anything that should be a problem for me.

As you can see in the video, my character moved fine in v1.78.4:

https://youtu.be/ST2GW_nsNVo

After the update, the movement looks like this:

https://youtu.be/xQhB9mtE_rM

My character works with Mechanim and Root Motion. I'm using the Unity's character controller and do NOT use a Rigidbody.

Has anyone an idea? If not, I think I could prepare and provide a minimalistic project on Github.

Thanks,
André

Comments

• Maybe I should avoid providing a sample project on Github but could send a zipped project. ;-)

• As far as I could experiment for now, it's worse when using Mechanim/Root Motion with "Turn" parameter.

What maybe seems to be "wrong" is, that the character changes direction a lot while moving along the path. This results in weird "Turn" parameter values. But I'm not sure why this happens. I think I will try different movement strategies to maybe find out, what the problem is.

(I have to stop investigating for now... I will continue later)

• Ok... I tested a little bit more.

I think if I do not use "Mecanim params: Turn float" in "Player" script, the movement is fine as the rotation is done on the transform. I also could make it kind of "better" when scaling the parameter ranges for running/turning up. (Before it was -1 to 1. Now it has a wider range which seems to make the error a little bit smaller. At least for walking)

I guess that the turning is somehow affected by the natural rotation of the character's walking/running animation. Even if the path is a straight line, the body slightly rotates a little bit to the left/right when walking/running. (It's part of the animation) AC seems to compensate this rotation by setting the "Turn float" value in the opposite direction.

As my walking animation has less "in between rotation" as my running animation, the strange behavior is much more visible on the running animation.

For now, I will turn off "Mecanim params: Turn float". I think that's fine for me.

• Thanks for the details and testing.

I should like to see this for myself, though - I can't recall what might have caused such a change.

If you can send a zipped project, please do - you can PM me a link from my profile, thanks.