Forum rules - please read before posting.

Better grounded detection?

edited March 4 in Technical Q&A

My first-person player is currently not playing footstep sounds when walking on uneven terrain. The grounded bool seems to turn off on the slightest slope. Any way to fix this?

https://streamable.com/p4x3q9

AC Version 1.79.3
Unity Version 2022.3.18f1

Comments

• The ground detection calculation depends on the components the character has attached - are you relying on a Character Controller or RIgidbody + Capsule Collider pairing?

Also are you assigning footstep sounds in the Player component, or the dedicated Footstep Sounds component?

• I'm using a Character Controller with the footstep sounds component

• Open up AC's Char script and replace the line:

return _characterController.isGrounded;

Replace it with:

if (_characterController.isGrounded) return true;
    return Physics.CheckCapsule (Transform.position + (_characterController.bounds.size.x / 2f * UpDirection), Transform.position + (_characterController.bounds.size.x / 4f * UpDirection), _characterController.bounds.size.y * 0.45f, groundCheckLayerMask);

Does that resolve it?

• I think the detection is a little better, still missing some step sounds. Also now the character has difficulty jumping while moving.

• Was the jumping/movement better originally? If so, best to revert back and use a different grounding script to handle FootstepSounds.

First, open up FootstepSounds and look for the PlayFootstep function (around line 114). Just inside the function, copy/paste:

if (!enabled) return;

(I'll make the same change in the next update)

You can then use a custom script to detect the ground, and then enable/disable the FootstepSounds component as needed. Something along these lines, but you can replace IsGrounded with your own function as necessary:

using UnityEngine;
    public class FootstepSoundsGrounded : MonoBehaviour
    {

public AC.FootstepSounds footstepSounds;

void Update ()
        {
            footstepSounds.enabled = IsGrounded ();
        }

bool IsGrounded ()
        {
            return Physics.Raycast (transform.position, -Vector3.up, 0.1f);
        }