Forum rules - please read before posting.

Strings used in Action list parameters as translatable

Hi,

I have various action lists with string parameters that are set through "Set Interaction Parameters". For Example, a "Player Line" Action (list) that runs a Dialogue/Player line and the line is set as a parameter from the hotspot. How do I get all these strings to be included in the Speech manager for translations?

// Magnus

Comments

• Parameter values cannot be translated, and they also cannot predict where they will be used. It's also the case that speech translations contain more data than regular translations - speaker, audio, etc.

One way to parameterise this situation is to create separate ActionLists - each with a Dialogue: Play speech action - and then use parameters to instead refer to this ActionList in an ActionList: Run Action.

Alternatively, you can use this wiki script to play a speech line by referring to its Speech Manager ID:

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Playing_speech_from_ID

This ID can be generated from anywhere, including a custom script. A custom script, for example, could contain all the speech text as an array.

The Manual's "Custom translatables" chapter for more details on this, though I can assist with a sample script if this sounds like an acceptable approach.

• Hi,

Super quick reply!!
    Thank you for this. Ok, the phrases/strings are usually scene specific so I'll create local string variables and call them with [localvar:xx] in the "Set Interaction parameters" components. Then they will autimatically be included in the speech manager.
    Two questions:

• Would it be possible to export game text as UTF-8-BOM by default? I don't get the option to choose encoding when saving and as i have Asian languages in the text, I need to Notepad++ the file and change encoding each time.
    • What does the "Reset Text" button do in the Speech Manager?

// Magnus

• Would it be possible to export game text as UTF-8-BOM by default? I don't get the option to choose encoding when saving and as i have Asian languages in the text, I need to Notepad++ the file and change encoding each time.

I can certainly look into a potential option - though it'd be best to work with a real-world example. If you can PM me your game's Speech Manager asset file, that'll be a big help.

What does the "Reset Text" button do in the Speech Manager?

It resets the ID numbers from all gathered assets (technically, they're set back to -1, which is ignored), so that there are no lines to translate.