Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC not matching marker rotation after move

edited April 3 in Technical Q&A

Hi.

I have an NPC which is given a Move to Point action with Copy Marker Angle set to true. However when the NPC gets there he doesn't rotate to match the marker rotation/direction. He just faces in the direction of travel.

Is there something I can check? It's a standard NPC with Apply Root Motion. It rotates when set to follow the player, so rotation itself isn't the issue.

Any ideas of what i can check?

https://imgur.com/a/5LmQPDC

The above is the NPC, which is an Arrow (to make it easy to show direction but it got stuck behind a desk). However, it's not facing the same way as the marker.

Olly

Comments

• edited April 4

I can't reproduce the issue - what is your AC version?

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the second screenshot - is the NPC that yellow brick? The centre of the root object is not positioned near the Marker.

It may be that they are not reaching the Marker. If you follow the Action up with e.g. a Dialogue: Play speech Action, does this new Action play once the NPC stops moving?

• Thanks Chris

Yes, appreciate that that wasn't the best image. I've added another. The NPC is the large arrow, which should face in the direction that NPC is facing. I've also added the action which, in my mind, should move to the marker and copy rotation, and wait until that's done. Certainly if I make the min distance zero, the NPC goes around in a circle and the next action is never triggered. This would imply that in the action in the photo the NPC is hitting the marker, if for no other reason than the next actions get triggered.

https://imgur.com/a/5LmQPDC

AC version is 1.79.3

Olly

• This would imply that in the action in the photo the NPC is hitting the marker, if for no other reason than the next actions get triggered.

That's what I was getting at with the mention of the speech Action. This will run when the NPC arrives?

Precision movement is tricky when using Root Motion - I'd recommend the use of a Blend Tree to blend the idle/movement states they aren't using one already. More details are in the Manual's "Precision movement" chapter.

We can check if this is definitely down to Root Motion by temporarily disabling it. However, the Demo game's Brain NPC also relies on this, and I can't reproduce an issue with them. Is it the same for you, if you temporarily drop Brain into the scene and assign them as the character to move?

If Brain moves OK, but disabling Root Motion removes the issue, do they rely on Root Motion to turn as well, or is it just to handle positions?