Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D Player Sprite "Jitters"

Hey there! New to using AC so might be a simple thing I'm missing. Created my 2d character, got the animations working just fine but when I have the camera constraint options enabled, it makes my character look like it's shaking while walking. If I turn off constraints, it works perfectly. Obviously, I need some sort of constraints to keep the view area inside the map. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @JayyStudio.

This type of behaviour is typically down to the use of a Rigidbody without interpolation.

Does your character have a Rigidbody2D component attached, and what is its Interpolation field set to?

You can try setting this to Interpolate, but otherwise you might be OK to simply remove the component altogether. Very often with 2D games (particularly point-and-click), physics components aren't necessary and your character can move around a scene without one.

• Thanks for the reply @ChrisIceBox !

The character does have the Rigid2d component. It was already set to Interpolate. I tried the other options and even tried your suggestion of removing the component completely but the issue persists.

I tried using a sprite to create the camera boundary, and I also tried binding uses just constraint values, but it's all the same results.

Here is a little preview to show the issue. You can see when the camera is in motion, it's a very clear image, but as soon as the boundary is met, the image quality goes down. Almost like the camera is stuttering.

• edited April 6

I may have misunderstood the issue. Are you referring to the slight vertical jump the camera makes as the Player turns around?

That's likely due to the Player making a (very small) change in vertical position as they change direction, combined with the camera locked very tightly to its target. Assuming your Movement method is set to Direct, you can prevent this by going to the Settings Manager's Movement panel, and setting Turning mode to something other than Turning Circle.

• @ChrisIceBox Maybe it's just me and my bad eyes lol. Not the camera, the character sprite. It just looks really fuzzy when the camera reaches the boundary set in the boundary settings while the character is still moving. If you notice while the camera is in motion, the character sprite is 100% clear, but when the camera is not in motion but the character is, the character sprite looks bad.

• I'm not sure its so noticeable in the video as in the Editor due to compression, but what you're describing may be down to your project's graphics settings rather than AC.

If you use an Animator component / AnimationClip asset to move the same sprite (on a separate test object) around the scene, without the use of AC, does that also have the same issue?

Try tinkering with options in your Project settings' Graphics section, particularly the use of VSync.