Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unreal Engine 4

edited April 2014 in Engine development
Hi Chris

The forum is busy with more serious questions and suggestions but I've got an interesting idea for you.

Unreal Engine 4 is now very indie friendly, even more so than Unity in my opinion. It's also exciting and new and a lot of people are trying it out. Now they have a marketplace that's similar to Unity's Asset Store. Currently the marketplace is for official assets but they are working on having it similar to Unity's asset store.

It may be an opportunity for you to develop your Adventure Creator for Unreal Engine too. I have no idea how difficult it would be since you will have to learn a whole new system. I also don't know if it will truly be worth the effort. I do know one thing though, Adventure Creator is the main reason why I'm staying with Unity for now. If you do make it for UE4 then I will buy it there and switch.

So I'm just putting the idea out there. Keep up the good work!

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll certainly have a look at it, but I'll admit I have no knowledge of UE at all.  At the very least, I do appreciate the sentiment!
  • I know this is an older thread, but the first thing I did was look for a framework like Adventure Creator on UE4.

I would certainly buy again!
  • I asked the same thing on Twitter, but doesn't look like it's going to happen: source.
  • Well with Unity's management change announced today... we might need an escape route someday. lol.
  • Resurrecting this again ...

I'm actually planning to move my main game project to Unreal Engine 4 once I've got the basic gameplay working with AC and Unity.

AC is fabulously useful for getting something up and running quickly and I love it to bits for that (best money spent in 2014) but it's actually confusing me a bit with all the options for types of game interface I won't be using anyway - but then again, I'm the sort of person who feels more comfortable working with raw source code in a text editor rather than all this modern visual programming! :-)

If anyone out there is interested - and it's okay with Chris - I'd be happy to write an account of the experience once I get something running on UE4, probably in a month's time or so.
  • edited January 2015
    Just to make it perfectly clear: I'm not planning to drop Unity and AC in general - I just think UE4 is a superior platform for this particular project.
  • Don't waste your time with UE4!

• Well, I just spent a great day working on my game in AC (and hence Unity), so still very much on the fence - but since I expect to make some heavy customisations at the code level anyway, why not move to an engine I'm more comfortable with for that sort of thing?

Absolutely not trying to start a war or anything, but why would you consider UE4 a waste of time?

I've personally run into fewer dead-ends and frustrations with it than I have with Unity, but please elaborate!

• edited January 2015
    This is what I can say one about this... Unity has a multiplataform editor, easier deployment on several targets, Linux included.

Graphically UE is more capable... but I don't have the resources or time to go for that level of detail, so my 2D backgrounds will look the same, and I mainly use Mac for development... so... :)