Forum rules - please read before posting.

Speech Tokens - Bolding, Italics, Underlining

Not something that I need for anything presently, but now that speech tokens are integrated into AC, it would probably be cool if there were tokens that allowed you to apply bolding, italics or underlining to text passages.

These tokens would have to be toggle-able, [italic] or [bold] (or just [i] or [b]) and then the passage, and then [/italic] [/bold], etc.

Italics in particular are great for not just text, but also subtitles, as they can denote actions rather than speech as well as emphasis within speech itself. Bold text could be good for monsters, I guess, though I have to admit I sort of like the history of ALL-CAPS usage in adventure game subtitles as well. :)

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I'm not sure if you are asking for something like this, but as AC use standard unity rich text I think you can already do most of it:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StyledText.html

• I don't know why I didn't think of that! Interestingly enough, this will probably work fine for 99% of AC users, and so I will not complain if there's no way around it, but here's the problem I'm having with that solution: 

The typewriter effect.

Because I'm using the typewriter, what is happening is that the typewriter is 'typing out' the tags I'm using to style the text, and then only actually applying them after the typewriter effect is done.

Chris, I'm pretty sure there's no way around this - it's probably just how the typewriter works -  but if there is something you could do, that'd be great. The typewriter effect is amazing, and it deserves text formatting as much as anything. :)
  • There's no easy around it, to be sure.  With so much else the output text has to do (look out for pauses, etc), I'm not comfortable about delving into it myself for fear of something else inevitably breaking.

If you were to make use of a Unity UI menu to display it, however, then you could probably write a script that replaces the label's text with your own amendments on the fly.  A suggested code method could be: if an opening tag is found, but no closing one is there, add it on manually.

This is        ->     This is
    This is <b>bold    ->    This is <b>bold</b>
    This is <b>bold</b> text     ->     This is <b>bold</b> text
  • Totally agree with you, and figured as much! Definitely don't want to risk the core of it.

And I'll look into taking a shot with it as per your idea with the Unity UI. Will let everyone know if I have any success.

Thanks!