Forum rules - please read before posting.

Check language from variable

edited December 2014 in Technical Q&A
There is an easy way to assign to a global or local integer variable which language I'm using?
I have some 3d text (text mesh) that I would like to change when player change the language. So, setting the "on variable change" cutscene, I can change them all.
Or some other way to change them "on the fly" when player switch between language cycles.
Tx.

Comments

• The language number can be determined with:

Options.GetLanguage ();

So to assign this to e.g. a Local integer Variable of ID=2:

LocalVariables.SetIntegerValue (2, Options.GetLanguage ());
  • Ok, but, I'm ignorance in Unity, so where I have to put this line of code?
    I tried to create a new script but it tells me that LocalVariables does not exist in the current context.

:(|)
  • Sorry, that should be AC.LocalVariables

• Ok, works great, tx!

For help someone other, I create a new C script called CheckLanguage and put this line under the Void Update.

Then I attached the script to the Main Camera so everytime I change the language from the Menu it change on the fly!

Maybe it's not a perfect and correct solution but it works! 

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class CheckLanguage : MonoBehaviour {

// Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
    }
    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {
    AC.LocalVariables.SetIntegerValue (41, AC.Options.GetLanguage ());
    }
    }
  • Hi, I have to change a scene object based on language. I have created this script and put it in the main camera, but I don't know what I have to do now to be able to detect the language within an action list.

Can someone explain it to me please? I think that this is a very usefull thing. :smiley:

• See the Manual's "Save scripting" chapter. The active language can be read with:

AC.Options.GetLanguage ();

Alternatively, you can use the Custom: Check Language Action.

• edited September 2020

Thanks! The Custom: Check Language Works fine! :) <3

• edited October 2020

Sorry, I put the CheckLanguage script in the Main Camera and This error appears in the Consoles:

**NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

AC.LocalVariables.SetIntegerValue (System.Int32 _id, System.Int32 _value) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Variables/LocalVariables.cs:281)**

Can this exception affect to the Action List? I put the Check Language Action in an action list and it seems like it works, but i´m not sure because I don´t have more than a language in my project yet.

Using AC v1.71.4

Thanks

• The CheckLanguage script above is separate from the ActionCheckLanguage Action script - the error in the first won't affect the second.

The error is that it cannot find the local variable with the given ID number - which is hard-coded to 41 in 2finger's code. You'll need to change this to the ID of the local variable you want to affect.