Forum rules - please read before posting.

Help creating a new game / save option

Hi,

I'm going to try to explain this as clearly as I can - I'm having issues with the save game / load options as its hard to get everything back how it was when people can save whenever and wherever they like so I wanted to use something similar to Hector Badge of Carnage that lets you start a new game and then continue that game or start another new game, so - in a nutshell - you get game slots to use to start a new game or continue the old one but don't have to worry about saving.

So, assuming that makes any sense at all, can anyone give me a hand in creating this as a menu option?

Any help at all would be much appreciated,

Kris

Comments

• It does make sense, though the answer isn't totally clear to me.  The key thing would be to map a Global Variable to your "save slot", so you always know what slot to save to.

A custom Action (see this tutorial) would let you save the game to a custom slot.  Let's say you use a Global integer Variable of ID 4 to store the slot number.  You could save the game with:

AC.SaveSystem.SaveGame (0, GlobalVariables.GetVariable (4), true);

As for setting the variable's value in the first place, that's probably best done with the new UI system.  The upcoming 1.41 release will let you link UI components to AC Menus.  AC will add the various "OnClick" events to Buttons automatically, but you can still add your own custom click events to them, which should also be run at the same time.  So you could have a list of save files to load listed, and if the player clicks on an empty slot, a custom click handler assigns the appropriate slot to the variable (GlobalVariables.SetIntegerValue will do it), and run an ActionList that changes the scene.

That's the theory, anyway.  Best wait for 1.41 before trying it, but it should be out later today, all being well.
  • Thats awesome - thanks Chris, no hurry on my account, will wait and see what wonderful goodies 1.41 brings!
  • @lefoosh You're making Jason with AC too? Cool! I didn't realize that actually.
  • SoundGuy  - absolutely, only the best for Jason! ;)