Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unity 5

Hi there, I know it's not out an all but I tried with Unity5, only I get a strange error which stops the hierachy painting:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEditor.GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.IsUsingAlphaSort () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.cs:146)
UnityEditor.GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.FetchData () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.cs:78)
UnityEditor.LazyTreeViewDataSource.GetVisibleRows () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/LazyTreeViewDataSource.cs:113)
UnityEditor.TreeView.OnGUI (Rect rect, Int32 keyboardControlID) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeView.cs:404)
UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.DoTreeView (Single searchPathHeight) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:347)
UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:195)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Do you know when you will support U5? I am going back to AC 1.38 in the mean time I think. 

Comments

• edited January 2015
    whoops i posted something here as a reply by mistake, need a delete button in here :)
  • edited February 2015
    tried again this definitely doesnt work, it even kills the hierarchy window :) screenshot attached. Not saying "fix it now!" just letting you know for when you come to do Unity5 versions. Note the hierarchy window is unusable.image
  • I try to keep up with Unity 5 errors as they come, but there's nothing in the error log that actually references any AC scripts.  Are you sure that this bug only occurs if AC is in your Asset folder / scene?  This is the first such error that's been reported.
  • Certain, happened 3x in a row. Weird how its not come up. If I delete AC and replace with an older one it goes away immediately, it seems to be one of the latest releases that causes it. 
  • Ive hunted high and low for a connection to AC and I cannot find one, but each time i update AC it happens, will keep looking.
  • Try it with the latest release: 1.42.
  • still happens in 1.42c on my project, very strange.. hierarchy turns into a little tiny image or something, so odd..
  • found it, and its not actually strictly AC related... :) seems I had a script that orders the heirarchy using alpha sort, but for some reason this and AC dont play well inside unity5. Once removed its working again!.. 
  • edited April 2015
    I have this problem. I tried opening a (AC) project that worked in a prior version of Unity, and it continued to work. Then I opened the same project under Unity 5 and the hierarchy window became blank and unusable (exactly as described). When I create a new U5 project and import (updated) Adventure creator asset (from asset store), Unity behaves ok. If I then try to import my old adventure as an package, I get the same hierarchy window freeze. If I start a new U5 project, add the Adventure creator asset, and then use new game wizard to set up managers, it gets a little farther. At that point I opted to use my old variables, inventory and cursor menus. This seemed ok when I clicked on the variables and inventory. When I clicked on cursor the hierarchy froze again. That's where I am now.
  • I completed another round. I created a new Unity 5 project, added AC, and created a new game. then I moved my old menus into the project directory, made them the defaults in the game editor and manipulated the program harshly. The hierarchy window stayed normal (although it only contained the default camera etc.). Then I copied all of my old assets *except* managers into my new project directory, restarted and Unity started and found the new assets. Everything looked good. I tested the program, removed a couple of errors and then tested again, and it ran correctly. I stopped, examined a few things, and then looked over. The hierarchy was blank again. So it's tied to something else (not managers).
  • I came across this when I installed my project at my friends house on unity5 a few days ago. It seemed to go away when I updated AC from asset store, not sure why it happens. Also make sure you dont have any special scripts that tinker with the hierarchy like my alpha sort.
  • edited April 2015
    I tried to reload AC directly from the Asset store and I still have the problem.

I verified I have the alphasort problem:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Unity.editor.GameObjectTreeViewDataSourceIsUsingAlphaSort() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/GameObjectTreeViewDataSource.cs: 146)

I check for the directory "buildslave" and it does not exist (I check for hidden files in the normal browser, and then look again using command prompt. So Unity is accessing a nonexistent file?

Not sure how to fix this. Do I reinstall Unity 5?

• Try removing the file AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/Editor/AlphaNumericSort.cs

I haven't had a trouble with it myself, but that seems to be the cause of this.  I may make this a Unity 4 only feature.
  • edited April 2015
    That did it!

Thanks so much!