Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to have the dialog options run in the background of the game?

Okey dokey, this question shouldn't be too hard. What script do I need to modify to get it so that when a conversation is being run, the player can still look and move around and all that while the they're selecting an option from the dialog list. Simultaneously and what not.... any help much appreciated!

Comments

• It's not recommended to change that, since AC assumes that conversations and regular gameplay are always kept separate.  If you can, consider relying on a custom in-game menu that makes use of buttons instead.

AC determines what "mode" it's in by the StateHandler script's gameState enum - this is set to Normal during gameplay, and DialogOptions during a conversation.  First of all, you'll need to do a project search for all instances of setting the gameState to GameState.DialogOptions, and replace with GameState.Normal.

You'll then need to edit PlayerMenus.cs, and change line 936 from:

if (KickStarter.playerInput.activeConversation != null && KickStarter.stateHandler.gameState == GameState.DialogOptions)

to:
                    if (KickStarter.playerInput.activeConversation != null && (KickStarter.stateHandler.gameState == GameState.DialogOptions || KickStarter.stateHandler.gameState == GameState.Normal))

• Thank you so much! It was the player menus line that was screwing me up, I had no idea where to find that. You are seriously the best person in the world with how helpful you are for your software. You're amazing Chris, thanks for the help!
  • ILoFoSho 

could I ask how this worked out for you? I followed the steps above, and it does enable interactions, but I can't select the dialogue options anymore...