Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dragging from inventory to hotspot doesn't respond

edited March 2015 in Technical Q&A
I have made an item and pickedit up, its in my inventory, I want to be able to drag it onto a hotspot as shown in this video (  ) . I follow the steps perfectly but when I drag the item out of inventory, the hotspot doesnt show up to let me drop it onto. 

The hotspot itself has an inventory interaction, with the inventory item set to the one I am trying to drag onto it. And an interaction also set up with a dialogue playspeech event. Basically identical to as you show in the video. 

Any thoughts?
(Im using Context Sensitive btw)

Comments

• If I change "interaction method" from "context sensitive" to "choose hotspot then interaction" then when I hover my cursor over the hotspot and I have the right item in my inventory it shows a little image of the item and indicates I can click, when I do it works and I see the dialog I specified. But, I also see a brief flash of "use item on interaction" why is this? 

Also If I do not have the right inventory item and I click on the hotspot then it gets stuck to my cursor, so I always see the text for it even when I am not looking at it or near it. Not sure why this is either. 
  • And you're using 1.42c?  I'll need to see screenshots of your set-up - switch back to Context Sensitive mode, and post your Inventory Manager (with the item in question), your Settings Manager, and the Hotspot's Inspector.
  • Yes 1.42c See attached. I just noticed my item in question "telephonika topsic key" does not have standard ineractions defined, but it is my understand that you dont need them? Only the hotspot should have the interaction defined ? 
  • edited March 2015
    Oops, I did not realise you need to close the inventory again with "i" and then select the hotspot, now it works :) Would be nice to have an option so you dont have to do this, but not essential.
  • There's no such limitation - it's all down to your own Menu settings.  "i" isn't part of the default AC menu - are you using your own modified interface?  The only restriction so far as using Items on Hotspots goes is that the game can't be paused - so if your Inventory menu pauses the game, you won't be able to use Items on Hotspots while it's on.
  • Ah yes, I had set inventory to pause the game, it seems I did this because when I dont then the mouse movements cause mouse looking rather than give me a pointer to move up to the inventory. I have based this on the demo ones, but obviously messed around a lot in my exploration.

Thanks for your on going support by the way I have just posted a 5 star review on this asset mentioning the top support, I do appreciate it very much. 
  • You're welcome, and thanks.

Rather than tying the "i" key directly to your Inventory menu, you could instead create an Active input that responds to this key instead.  Active Inputs (section 2.14 of the manual) tie ActionLists to input keys.

Using one, you could get it so that "i" toggles on both the Inventory menu, but also disables free-aiming (using the Player: Constrain Action), meaning you wouldn't have to pause the game.
  • Brilliant! Thanks, will definitely implement that.