Forum rules - please read before posting.

Clicking in the Inventory... stumped!

Hi!

Just trying to extend the tutorial a bit in a  direction I will need.
OK so in the tut we get the Robot to click on the sword, and, it goes to the Inventory AND goes to his hand. Great! Worked..

Now I just want to have a  way to
a) drop it, so it goes back to the inventory
b) be able to pick it up from the inventory again

OK so maybe better that when you click on something it DOESNT goe to the hand straight away, so I maike this change.. merely disable the Action Character:Holdeobject.
fine no probs..
But to be able to CLICK the inventory and get it in your hand..

So.. I try
I got to the inventory tab and make a InvAction list for the sword, on the USE slot..
Good..
I tidy up and put that InAction into my InvAction lists folder, and rename it to SwordHold. Then I add exactly the same action as we removed from the hotspot Interaction, Character:Holdeobject

To absolutely NO effect!

So whats the right way to do this.. Ill need a remove function too, maybe RE-clicking in the Inventory, or.. is it possible to have an empty, or an "open Hand" inventory item permanently there, and clicking THAT will remove things?
Just an idea...

Comments

• Some ideas there for me to think about, thank you.  I will see if I can build upon this Action with some new features.

Certainly you should be able to use this Action in an asset file.  When you drag the sword model into the "Object to hold" field, it should create and display a "Constant ID" number - does that happen?  If not, what version of AC are you using?
  • edited March 2015
    Im using version 1.42c and Yes when I drag the Sword to the SwordHold Asset file it has a small box underneath that says Recorded ConstantID 1483810

So what are you saying? That doing what Im doing should work?
    You know I have my Sword_Hold Asset file (with the character:Hold object Action in it) in the Standard Interactions Use slot... is this right?

What are the USE and EXAMINE slots for?... Use and examine where? On stage? or in the Inventory?

I know that Unhandled slots for Hotspots and combine are incase I use (drag) the sword to an item I haven't thought of... so whats Standard Interactions?

• They're for when you click on the Inventory Item itself - Use is left-click, Examine is right-click.  Just like the Hotspot Inspector.  If the Use slot is empty, then clicking an item will select it.

If you want to use an Item on a Hotspot, you define that within the Hotspot itself.
  • Well Thats what I thought, so i dont know why its not working to click the item in the inventory to send it to My character to hold.
  • WIthout seeing what you've done, I don't know either.  Please post a screenshot of your ActionList.