Forum rules - please read before posting.

Simulate Input not working for Touch ?

Hi,

Just started working with Adventure Creator, and I stumbled upon what seems to be a bug ..
Im' trying to simulate input for Touch ( using a Menu button ), so that I can use the RotateMoveable option on a Pick-Up object to rotate it.
I pretty much followed what others have done for settings, according to these two threads :

However, just like the person in that last thread, the ClickType simulate input still doesn't work. Has this been fixed in 1.43 ( Like Chris said in that last thread ), or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks a lot.

PS : Im' using AC 1.43 and Unity 5 on Mac

Comments

• It's not the Touch - it's that the drag-related inputs don't also check for simulated input.  Thanks for the alert, I'll see if I can add it into the 1.43a release.
  • Hey Chris, I just installed the new AC 1.43a , but I'm afraid the simulated input still doesn't work on PickUp objects... Or am I doing something wrong ?
  • I don't know what you've done so far, so I can't say.  Certainly I've made the changes I thought were needed.  Screenshots of your Button's properties?
  • edited April 2015
    Here are some screenshots :

on Input :

On the Cube to rotate :
    imageimage

on the Menu Button :

PS : for the button's Input axis value, I also tried with "b" instead of "RotateMoveable", as I wasn't sure wich one is right..
    If I hold the "b" on the keyboard , I can rotate the cube fine. If I click on the Button menu, then try to rotate without holding the "b" key , nothing happens.
    Hope this helps

Thanks
  • You'll have to change your Menu Button's "Simulate" popup to "Axis", not "Button".  You'll then have to enter a value (try 1, may take a bit of trial and error to find the best).
  • I tried your last suggestion, and tried all possibles values , and still nothing works unless I hold the "b" key on the keyboard...This is really weird ...

In the end, I ended up creating a Playmaker FSM to rotate objects ( also created 2 Inputs called Mouse X and Mouse Y with type "Mouse Movement" for X and Y axis):
    imageimage

It works outside of AC projects, but I haven't managed yet to make it work within AC ...
  • Ok , I've managed to make the FSM work within AC and simulate the RotateMoveable without pressing the keyboard ( FSM on the Cube, Hotspot on it then action "ThirdParty --> Playmaker" ).

Still, I would have prefered to do it with the original AC method. 
    Chris, any ideas ?
  • I'll have a look into it.
  • Am I to assume you're trying to do this with a second finger (the first being used to actually pick up the object in the first place)?  A PickUp object needs to be "held" before it can be manipulated.

Currently, touch screen only allows for one finger at a time to register, but you can amend this by removing the "touchCount == 1" checks in PlayerInput lines 358 and 359.  You may also need to make use of a Unity UI-based menu as well.

Then again, if you've got what you want working with PlayMaker, it might be best to leave as is.
  • edited April 2015
    "Am I to assume you're trying to do this with a second finger (the first being used to actually pick up the object in the first place)? "

No, I'm just using either the mouse ( click and drag) , or just one finger ( with Unity Remote)...
    I got it working with Playmaker, it's just that I would have prefered to avoid the overhead and get it to work with the original AC method, especially that I have a future game in mind that may heavily use rotating objects in the puzzles..
  • edited April 2015
    What I don't understand is, why are you trying to simulate the input, rather than manipulate the object in the normal way?  PickUps can be rotated by just click-and-drag for mouse, or with one finger, as you've described.
  • edited April 2015
    Unless I'm missing an obvious step somewhere, I've never been able to rotate a Moveable PickUp object just by clicking and dragging... I can move it in all direction yes,  but not rotate it. The only way I could rotate it is by adding a RotateMoveable axis in Input, and assigning a keyboard key. Then I have to hold the key while clicking and dragging to have the object rotate instead of move...

Isn't that what is required in the Game Editor "Settings Manager " ? ( Required Inputs : "The required inputs are available for the chosen interface settings" --> RotateMoveable : Button )
    From the manual : "PickUp objects can also be rotated, brought closer to the screen, and thrown. The
    required Input axes to perform these extra functions are listed in the Settings Manager's
    Required inputs section."

hence why Im' trying to simulate the input, so that this keyboard button would not be needed for one finger rotation ( Basically I only want this object to rotate, not move when dragged whether by touch or mouse drag )

• Ah, I see.  The thing about the PickUp prefab, though, is that it's intended to allow for multiple interaction types at once (rotating, moving, throwing etc).

If you just want to rotate an object, use the Draggable prefab instead.  In the Inspector, you can set the Drag mode to Rotate Only - this should give you the behaviour you want.
  • edited April 2015
    Ah yes , silly me ! For some reason I've always seen DRAGGABLE as only useful for dragging things along a path. The "Rotate Only" option escaped my mind.
    That solves my problem. Thanks !