Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot on Player and using ActionList

Hello All!

I have a Hotspot on my Player. Sometimes he needs to use an item on his self ( med pack, hat, etc ) and for the Hotspot setup, I have two parts to the "Inventory interactions" that would allow two items from Inventory to be dragged onto the Player and executed.

I would like to play a dialog stating if / if not the item can be used on the Player. I do this by setting the Interaction of the Hotspot to a ActionList item in the Project. 

The issue is, when I "Gather Text", there will be a Speech Manager ID assigned since it's not in the scene. Therefore when the Dialog is played, the Dialog subtitle box will be displayed for a very long time.

Since the Player is dynamically created into the scene when it starts, I'm looking for suggestions on how to have it either part of the scene, or to change the Display subtitle time on the screen.

Thanks!

Comments

• I'm afraid I don't understand the original problem you're describing (all speech lines will have an ID, regardless of location).  However, you can control the duration of speech text at the top of the Speech Manager.
  • edited April 2015
    Then I'm doing something wrong. 

Here is how you can reproduce:
    1) Create a new project and import Adventure Creator
    2) In your Project View, right click and create a ActionList
    3) Add a "Dialog - Play Speech Action" to it and set it for Player
    4) Click the Speech Tab and select "Gather Text"

There will be no ID number on the ActionList.

Am I doing something incorrect?

Also, I noted that I said it incorrectly for my first post, it should have read:
    The issue is, when I "Gather Text", there will not be a Speech Manager ID assigned since it's not in the scene. Therefore when the Dialog is played, the Dialog subtitle box will be displayed for a very long time.
  • When you click "Gather Text", AC will only assign ID numbers for speech lines used in your game.  If you don't reference this ActionList anywhere (e.g. by calling it through ActionList: Run or linking it to a Menu button), then it isn't considered a part of your game.  This prevents e.g. the Demo game's assets from being included in your Speech Manager.

So long as it's referenced by a scene object or a field in your Managers, then it'll be included.
  • Chris:

That solved my issue.  I just created a Cutscene and attached it there. 

Never call the cutscene, but at least it created the ID's for me.

Thanks!