Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems with blend shape based lip-syncing

Hello Mr. Burton,

first of all thank you for building such a great engine for creating adventures. I was developing a stand alone adventure creation engine myself, but abandoned it now as I saw Adventure Creator. It covers all I need, has some clever ideas and I refuse to re-invent the wheel, especially because both engines have the same workflows.

I'm currently building up a testing evironment for my main character and everything is working fine but now I have problems getting blend shape based lip-syncing to work. I have a mecanim based character which consists of a rig and several sub-meshes (body, eyeballs, hair) made in blender. I prepared the whole lip-syncing setup as shown in your great video tutorial (the evil lair ones). But when it comes to the shapeable script the problems begin: If I attach the shapeable to the sub-mesh (body) that has the blend shapes I don't get any errors in the unity log but the mecanim part of the player component says I should add a shapeable script to be able to use lip syncing. If I add the shapeable to the player (the prefab) I get lots of error messages in the log, saying that the array indexes of the blend shapes are out of bound, which makes sense because the blend shapes are in a sub-mesh. The mecanim part of the player component lets pick a shape group then, but lip sync is not working. I believe that the problem is that I have several sub-meshes in my hierarchy and shapeable is not able to say which sub-mesh contains the blend shapes. If I'm right with my guess, would it be possible to add a parameter anywhere to tell shapeable wich sub-mesh it has to use for it's functionality?

Comments

• Possibly, though I do believe the best practice is to rely on just one SkinnedMeshRenderer for your character - I myself use Blender, but combine all my meshes into one before exporting to Unity.

However, either way you shouldn't be placing the Shapeable script on your Player's root object - you should have it on your SkinnedMeshRenderer (the one with the shapekeys you wish to control).  The Player script will try to auto-detect this in it's child hierarchy, though we'll have to see if this works when multiple SMRs are involved.