Forum rules - please read before posting.

Request a "Filter by carry on start" for Inventory

Hi all, hi Chris,
could be possible to add this type of filter in the inventory manager?
There's already a Filter by name, very useful, but when I test the game i flag some new object with the carry on start flag and sometimes I fogot to remove it... and my inventory has over 70 items and to uncheck all I have to make the game start, write the items I have, exit to editor and remove the ones who aren't necessary...

Tx in any case!
Bya

Comments

• I second that. I have dozens of inventory items and I'm facing the same situation.

And speaking of the Inventory Manager, I also suggest making the "Inventory item properties" fixed at the bottom of the Inventory Manager while leaving only the inventory items list scrollable. It will prevent the necessity to scroll way, way down just to see the properties of the item I just clicked and then way, way back up to click another item - over and over again. I'm talking of a fixed window area like the preview area at the bottom of a prefab inspector. You can scroll the top part of the prefab inspector but the bottom part remains stationary at the bottom.
  • I'm not sure how much of that is possible with custom Inspector code, @danielvierna.

@2finger: Would an "Inventory: Clear" Action not achieve the same effect?  You could run that when your game begins to reset what you've set to carry on start.
  • Mmmh, not completely...

Imagine this: I'm creating the second part of the game. The main char is coming with a crowbar and a key founded in the first part.
    While in the second part, I have to test some actions with a ball and a mirror, so I flag the Carry on start on that objects. 
    So I start testing with crowbar, key, ball and mirror.
    I made other things and make a build. Run the exe and "DOH!", I have the ball and the mirror from the beginning... and I should have only the crowbar and the key...

So, a clear inventory action will clear also the crowbar and the key... not so cool...

Now, with 2 objects is easy, I uncheck the 2 flags. But with lot of object... that's why I asked for a flag filter in the Inventory Manager.
    But if it's a big modification, don't worry. 
    ;)
  • edited April 2015
    I made a quick test, nothing fancy. Do you think such thing would work for you?

imageimage

It has a splitter between the top and bottom panes.

• edited April 2015
    That's cool @danielvierna, with the inventory properties "locked" it's easyer to see what is checked and what no.
    How can i make that?
  • Well, the only way we can have such thing in the Inventory tab (and possibly the Variables tab as well) is if Chris thinks it's useful. I would be happy to share my code in such case. He would need to take my simple sample code and use it to make the necessary changes to AC.

Of course we could make the changes ourselves but they would only get overridden with the next upgrade so what's the point...? :)
  • Ahah! Yep, right!
    Let's see what Chris think about it. I think this will be useful also for the tons of variables an adventure game need! 

• I couldn't agree with you more! :)
  • All right, agreed.  This should also be in for Variables - I think I'll have to make "sub tabs" for the Variables Manager now, so you see the lists of Local/Global vars separately.
  • Great great news! Thanks Chris and thanks @danielvierna for his ideas! :)
  • No prob, I'm happy to help this wonderful tool any way I can.