Forum rules - please read before posting.

Puzzles and riddles

I would like to know if it's possible in AC to put some puzzles so the player has to complete them in order to get an object or to unlocked something. If so, can you explain to me how to do that and if it's not, could you tell me if I buy some assets if I can integrate them into AC?

I'm doing a game in 2D and I would also like to include riddles in my game. A message would show the riddle and the player would have to type the answer. How do I do that please?

Comments

• You can use Variables to track your player's progress when solving puzzles.  Define them in the Variables Manager, then set/check them in-game using Actions.

You read in some text entered by the Player, you'll want to make use of the "Input" menu element type.  This tutorial covers it's use.
  • Thank you very much ChrisIceBox.

I was able to make the menu but I think I'm missing something since even if the player enter the wrong answer to the question, he gets the object.

Could you help me out again please.
  • You're going to have to tell me what you've done before I can help. What does the actionlist that checks the value of the entered text look like?
  • Here is a link to the screenshot of the actionlist. I hope it's what you needed.

• You will need to first copy the contents of the text box into the variable "TreeHole".  You can do this with the Variable: Set Action, as shown in the tutorial.
  • Here is a link for the screenshot of the variable I did as per the tutorial.

http://imgur.com/I9saq7g

Could the fact that I'm not using a player changes something?
  • You can't read the contents of the text box directly in Actions - instead, you need to transfer it's value from the box over to the variable, and then read the variable.

If you haven't used the Variable: Set Action once the player has used the input box, then the variable will remain it's default value, 7, which will always be "correct" in the ActionList you posted.

Again, refer to the Variable: Set Action as shown in the tutorial.
  • Thank you ChrisIceBox, it works now!
  • Hello,

Since the beginning of this post, I would like to change something in the menu. In fact, I just want to be able that the player could go back to the scene if he doesn't have the answer. 

Is this possible at all? per exemple, a little cross that could close the menu or by clicking outside of the menu...

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Of course - just create a Button inside your Menu, set it's Click type to Run Action List.  You can then assign it an ActionList asset that contains a Menu: Change state Action that closes the Menu.

This tutorial may be relevant.
  • Hi Chris,

My game is going slowly but steady.

I just ran into a little problem. I created two different menus to have the players enter the answer and I was also able to create a button name Cancel in order to close the menu if they don't know the answer. My problem is that is the player doesn't click on cancel, he can go to the other scene and the menu is still showing.

You can see the results here : http://imgur.com/Qo3AVw0

Is there any way to resolve this problem?

Regards,
  • You would need to show the properties of the Menu, as I can't tell how the Menu is normally displayed.

Know that if you want to block normal gameplay while the Menu is on, you can check Pause game while enabled?.  If you want animations to continue in your scene, but don't want the player to be able to move around / interact etc, you can use the Engine: Manage systems Action in your Menu's ActionList when turn on to disable gameplay temporarily.

But if you want the player to be able to change scene, and just turn the menu off, you can use the Menu: Change state Action to do that in your next scene's opening Cutscene.
  • Thank you Chris!

Since my game is an escape and the player as to go back and fourth between the scenes, I added a action to turn off the menu to the arrows (that changes the scenes).

Problem resolved thanks to your help.