Forum rules - please read before posting.

Suspect corrupted Settings Manager

Hi there,

I am experiencing an issue with my game, whenever I click on the Settings Manager tab of the Game Editor, the whole section clears and becomes unresponsive. It happened shortly after I finished editing some character prefabs and I suspect that whatever I did corrupted my Settings Manager file. The error that Unity throws is:

SerializatioException: serializationStream supports seeking, but its length is 0
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize

I back up my Settings Manager file on a regular basis and so I've tried deleting the referenced file and copying the back up version in as well as deleting the file out and trying to create a brand new one. Sadly none of these options has worked. Is there anything else I can try? I really don't want to have to rebuild the game from scratch as I've already done this once and I've just finished some very time consuming sound design and implementation.

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• It's not the settings manager - rather your Options data, for some reason.  The Settings Manager loads up your PlayerPrefs so that you can control sfx volume etc from within it.

What platform are you working on / building to?  There are currently problems if you switch back-and-forth between iOS and Desktop builds, which I'm fixing for the next release.  If there's another way this issue will occur it'll be important to know of it, so any other info you can share as to what may have caused this will be really appreciated.

The way to fix this for now would be to delete your project's PlayerPrefs - you can do this by physically removing the file on your system - see this page to find it's location based on your platform.
  • Hi Chris,

Many thanks for coming back to me so quickly, I'm currently working in Unity4, AC v1.40b, Windows 7 Pro SP1.

I'm currently only building to PC (and have done to Mac once). In terms of what I've was doing at the time, I have two players in my game and I was editing them to add footstep SFX to them. I'd copied them into the Hierarchy to edit them and had added game objects to them along with the SFX, then deleted the versions in the project folder and copied them back. I should note, my project is actually up on Dropbox as there is an artist working on it with me who tried synching at about that time, though he was synching files outside of the project folder. I assumed it was the Settings Manager as the error only occurred when clicking on the tab (all the other tabs were fine) and I figured that it had somehow corrupted when I deleted my existing player prefabs.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now, would it be useful for me to send you the player prefs file?

Thanks again!
  • The player/sfx work wouldn't have made a difference - working across platforms with Dropbox, maybe - I'm not sure.  Again, please try deleting the PlayerPrefs file - it should re-set the Settings Manager for you.

I would also strongly urge you to update to the latest release - each update contains many new features, but more importantly: bugfixes.  There's only so much help I can give when people have problems using outdated versions of the software.  So long as you back up your project, and go over the upgrade notes listed in the changelog, you should be OK.