Forum rules - please read before posting.

Evil Lair source

I have followed twice the Evil Lair Tutorial (ver 4.) and I cannot pick up the book on the table (no highlight shown) My only hope is to compare MyFirstACGame with a source for Evil Lair.

Is it possible to get it??

Comments

• I might be able to upload it - you mean Unity 4?

It'd probably be worth trying to fix the problem you have, however.  Have you created a Hotspot around the book, with no other colliders in the way of it to prevent the mouse click?
  • There are no colliders on the table nor on the book. Following the voce 3 hours+ tutorial with a speaker who is at times very fast is difficult also I have other situations which don't work as shown in his tut. Therefore I would greatly appreciate the source so that I may compare with my version.

Thank you

• But in what version of Unity?  The version affects which scene file I send you.
  • I am using Unity 4.6 .3f1 and I have downloaded the TutorialFiles4.unitypackage.

and thank you in advanmce

• I am using Unity 4.6 .3f1 and I have downloaded the TutorialFiles4.unitypackage.

and thank you in advance

and thank you in advance

• edited May 2015
    I've tried to do this for you, but unfortunately since the scene was made with 5, it can't be loaded into 4 - Unity doesn't allow for backwards compatibility.  Sorry about that - I wasn't aware that would happen.

If you upgrade to 5, then I can certainly provide you with a working scene file.  Otherwise, I'll do my best to help you with your specific problems, so please let me know what you need help with, and provide screenshots/detail - we'll get your scene working one way or the other.
  • I have Unity 5 already but I had many difficulties with compatibility with the small games that I developed so I dropped it.

Having said this I can work with Unity 5 and AC . For all I know that could be the problem of my several scenes that don't work and I intend to start developing using AC (plus maybe Playmaker too)

So, yes please, send it!!

P.D. I think your AC package is wonderful and must have cost you a lot of time and effort, there is however one thing that is REALLY needed: DEBUGGING. Playmaker and Unity has them . To find a problem with the scenes is very difficult without it.

• Thank you for your undertanding: you can download the finished scene from this link, which is a unitypackage that also contains the various managers, prefabs etc you'll need.  Once you've imported the package, you can bulk-assign the managers by selecting the My 3D game_ManagerPackage asset in the subfolder, and clicking Assign Managers in the Inspector.

Thanks for the feedback regarding debugging, too.  I shall certainly take it into consideration.
  • I'll try it now and THANKS !!!!
  • I have spent the weekend trying your tutorial source unsuccessfully.

These are the only 2 things I could check and then it freezes:

1. when pointing at Brain there is no Hotspot icon just the name Brain appears. The same thing with eny Highlighted objects.
    2. when the Robot is in front of the console I click at the panel and the sequence starts(Robot hits the key and Brain moves aside with the laser)  and the scenet freezes I can't move the robot or do anything else

Help please !!!

• The Hotspot icon, as in the small dot in the centre of the Hotspot?  If that's not showing, check that you are using the correct Settings Manager asset: it should be WalkingDead_SettingsManager, as set when you assign them in bulk as I described before.  If it's set to something else, that may account for your other problems, too.

See what all of your Manager asset files are: the Cursor and Manager assets should also tbe their WalkingDead counterparts, while the others should begin with "My 3D Game_" instead.  If they're not, set them up to be like that - and if they are, take a screenshot of your Settings Manager and post it here, so that I can see what's what.
  • I don't think it is about settings my problem. For instance I am comparing my own scene following the tutorial exactly and under Interactions->Buttons:Use your source shows only 3 actions  Camera switch, Hotspot enable and Menu change state while in my scene (repeat following the tutorial) I have 12 actions and inside are the animate actions. Therefore the robot freezes after hitting the button .....................  and there are other situations where your source differs from the tutorial.

What should I do ? maybe you send another copy of the source???

The procedure to load your source was as follows:

1. Open a New Project in Unity
    2. Download your source
    3. Download the Tutorial
    4. Inside your source click at the Management make sure it shows:

Then I run the Evil_Lair.unity inside your source.  

• There's no Interation in my version that has only 3 actions of the kind you describe, so I really don't understand why it should be any different for you.  And the image you posted isn't loading, so I can't see what you have, but here's the procedure:

1. Open a new project in Unity
    2. Import the latest release of Adventure Creator from the asset store
    3. Import the tutorial asset files (not the scene file I sent you)
    4. Import the scene file - you should now have a subfolder called My 3D game
    5. Inside "My 3D game", select "My 3D game_ManagerPackage", and click "Assign managers" within the Inspector.
  • OK I did it as you mention . When I run it the Console reports the error (yellow triangle only) "Could not find menu of name 'CloseUp' and when the robot hits the button in the panel it freezes and I can't move him anymore...
  • If that's the case, then the correct menu manager has not been assigned.  What is your menu manager asset set to?  It should be WalkingDead_MenuManager.  Is that even available to select?

If not, you can rebuild it by recreating the following Menu in the Menu Manager, which was created as part of the tutorial:

Bear in mind that this package was prepared in Unity 5.0.1, so you'll need the same when working with this.
  • I thought the game file you sent was for My 3D Game  not for the WalkingDead therefore I forced all subsets of the My Game 3D to 3D MayGame. So I changed it now and it works except...

but I see another omission : The Cursor Menu does not show any Textures so I have to bring them in manually and now I see the two icons.

Still bad is that when the Robot is at the panel (console) I can see the Exit Button but it is not context sensitive, that is, I can click it but the robot doesn't budge. This is true also when he picks up the book

• The ManagerPackage asset file included in what I sent you had the WalkingDead asset files set up for you, so all you should have to do is click on it's "Assign Managers" button, as I said.

I think the button and cursor problems are related - it seems the relationships between asset files weren't retained when you imported, but I couldn't say why this would happen.  The "Exit" button should run the ClickCloseupButton ActionList asset file when clicked - you can set this manually by selecting the CloseUp menu in your Menu Manager, and assigning this file as the ExitButton's ActionList to run field.
  • Works for me  now !! Still the Cursor menu you must enter manually their different textures AND the ClickCloseupButton MUST be manually entered in the CloseUp Element.

So now I begin to follow it better. Thank you for your time.