Forum rules - please read before posting.

losing connections in Action List editor

Hi!

I have a simple NPC conversation with 2 choices. whenI hit play the connections from the dialogue:Start Conversation disappear. I have override defaults set (not sure why though, just cos you did that in a tutorial)

But mine vanish as soon as I hit play.. so it starts like...
image after play its...

Comments

• To use the "override defaults" feature, the Action relies on being able to see the related Conversation at all times - which it can't do if the Action is in an asset file.

Move this to a scene-based Cutscene and it'll work - I'll have to add a warning or something if you try it in an asset file.
  • OK, Ill try that.
    I wonder if there is a good explanation somewhere as to why or when you need to use a asset file, or just stay in the cutscene action list, to be honest, I dont really get that, or whats the correct approach, trying an asset file now was more to just try it and see if its use became obvious...
    OH and then, IF im creating all these links IN the cutscene, whats the purpose of conversation option files? I just make them and then never look at them again...
  • It used to be that conversations were controlled completely within the conversation object - through updates, it's now possible to control them within the ActionList itself, as you're doing.

You should generally use local cutscenes whenever you run something specific to one particular scene, and ActionLists when you want to do something regardless of scene (i.e. handle a menu button's "click").
  • Im still having trouble with this...

But now its that Im lacking functionality on a menu Button element.
    Best if I describe the whole senario.

Start of Game we walk towards an NPC, after a introductory text ("you are late!") up comes a conversation.
    Shall we go?
    Do you want to ask me anything?
    Do you want to know what to do?

Shall we go, quite the convo and the dialogue option puts the NPC on a path, returns the camera to gameplay (and now, Manage Sysems put movement methid back to 1st Person)

Do you want to ask me anything? Puts us in a trivial conversation with her... I havent done this bit, miht have questions later, but just Monkey Island style list of options she replys to where last one is GoodBye

But the last one
    Do you want to know what to do?
    I want to show graphics, this is the tutorial, telling about inventory and perpose of the game keystrokes etc, so for this I thought I would show a menu.
    So I made one, looks ok, intoduced graphocs and text, arranged it, and at the bottom.. a CONTINUE button,
    But when I select Closes menu.. it closes menu and DOE NOT go back to conversation (For the use to selec "Lets Go" OR.. I can have Dialogue Start conversation AFTER the Menu Change State Turn on menu action, but THEN, after a brief flash, the conversation appear in the background, an can be selected THRU the menu graphics.

How can I get BACK to a conversation after a menu has been opened.
  • You'll have to post screens of that last bit - the description isn't enough for me to follow.  Once the Dialogue: Start conversation Action is run, it'll be displayed on the screen unless you pause the game, or exit the conversation.  Other menus will appear independently of the dialogue options, so you'll have to turn them off if you only want the options to show.

If you want to remain in the conversation, but hide the options temporarily while in e.g. another menu, you can use the Menu: Change state to "Lock" the Conversation menu instead.
  • Other menus will appear independently of the dialogue options, so you'll have to turn them off if you only want the options to show.
    If you want to remain in the conversation, but hide the options temporarily while in e.g. another menu, you can use the Menu: Change state to "Lock" the Conversation menu instead.

THIS WOULD WORK. I can understand locking the conversation... but how do I hide them?; 
    And the CONTINUE button at the bottom of the Tutorial menu, if set to close menu, would NOT be able to UNhide those conversations. or would it?
  • Locking a menu will hide it from view - it's the same thing.

You can change a button's Click type to Run ActionList - in there, you can close a menu, and unlock another in a chain.
  • Great thanks.. 

next question... new thread... :)