Forum rules - please read before posting.

Highlight object

Hi i was just wondering if there is a way in having a completely different highlight with mouse over. Like is there a way of just having a rim highlight instead. Example: If you have a book in your scene in which your able to pickup. When mouse is over the book it spawns an outline of a color around it instead of having it increase the intensity.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    I havent heard of such feature being implemented in AC. It might require some custom shadder.

What I use in my game is a transparent smooth reddish-orange spott .png image, behind the objects I want to highlight. Like this one only with different color http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/425/90359838.png
  • It's true - you'll need a custom shader, since the code would be very specific both to your desired effect, as well as the original shader it's based on.

AC makes it very simple to attach such a shader, however: the Highlight script has a checkbox labelled Brighten materials.  If you uncheck this, then the default glow effect won't occur - but the code that calculates how intense the effect should be is still run.  You can retrieve the intensity value by reading the Highlight script's GetHighlightIntensity() function, e.g.:

float intensity = myHighlightScript.GetHighlightIntensity ();
  • Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried a lot of shaders and they really arn't working out but i do like the idea that skytree does. I might try that.