Forum rules - please read before posting.

NavMesh segment question

edited June 2015 in Technical Q&A

Hey Chris,

For my second project I'm working with uneven terrain.  The navmesh segment isn't cutting it as it's just flat.  I also thought about just making a mesh copy of my terrain to be used as the mesh collider but I also need my avatar to walk inside of buildings.  So I need a dynamic terrain navigation set up.  Since AC only allows one option at a time for the navigation type I don't know what else to do.

Comments

• The NavMeshSegements are just a "helper" prefab to make it easier for users just starting out.  Any mesh can be coverted into a Navigation area.  Take a look at the navigation section of the new 2.5D tutorial (starting 31:42) - it covers how to take the existing floor colliders/geometry and turn them into the Navigation mesh.
  • I'm very VERY confused how to make a Nav Mesh. The 2.5D tutorial covers it, but not really at the same time.

All it says is to use Nav Mesh Segments, but I don't see that option anywhere on my menu. I tried making a Nav Mesh from scratch and it didn't work.
  • If NavMesh Segments aren't appearing, check these two settings:
    • Your "Camera perspective" (in the Settings Manager) is set to either 2.5D or 3D
    • Your "Pathfiding method" (in the Scene Manager) is set to Unity Navigation

A text-tutorial covering Unity Navigation can be found here.

• Oh, that worked! I had mine set to AC by accident.

Thank you for linking the tutorial!