Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adding dialogs on cutscenes

Hello,
I want to add some player lines in the cutscene as text (without sound). However, I can't seem to do this, like I do normally such as in interactions. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Comments

• Posts like this belong in Technical Q&A, for future reference.  Using the Dialogue: Play speech Action is what you want, so you're on the right track.  If your game otherwises uses speech audio and text isn't normally displayed, you'll have to make sure that Force subtitles to display when no speech audio is found? is checked within the Speech Manager, and also that Show subtitles? is checked at the bottom of the Settings Manager (or within the in-game Options menu)
  • Hello,
    Sorry for the wrong categorization. All of those things you mentioned are checked, and my dialog actions work properly otherwise. But for some reason, I can't seem to work that action during the cutscene (it works in interactions when the cutscene ends during the same scene). By the way, the player and the menus are disabled during the cutscene.
  • I also tried adding dialog to another cutscene on another scene, it works. But in this specific one, it doesn't! Enabling player, or assigning the speech to an npc didn't help either. Any recommendations?
  • What do you mean by the player and menus are disabled?  Did you disable them specifically using the Engine: Manage systems Action?

Try opening up the Cutscene in the ActionList Editor window (click the node icon beside it in the hiearchy) and then click "Auto-arrange".  It may be that it isn't connected properly, and that view will help you see it.  If it is, post a screenshot of your full ActionList.
  • Thanks for the reply. I had to take 4 screen shots since I can't have everything visible on my small screen. The speech action is at the last pic:
  • Unless Puzzle1Finished is true, that looks OK to me.  Are you certain that it's only the speech action that isn't run - i.e. the Object: Animate (Action 10) after it is being run without problem?  The Action itself shouldn't have any trouble, so I'm inclined to think the problem lies with it not being called in the first place.  You could even try replacing it with an Engine: End game Action to be sure.

If you view the ActionList while it's running in-game, currently-running actions are highlighted in blue - you can use that to see what's getting called or not.
  • To make sure that the speech action is run, I set "display speech forever until user skips it" on. When the cutscene is run, I see that the action is run (it turns blue), but it stays there forever, as I suspected. So the action is triggered, but never completed. The following actions run properly if I unclick that option.
    I assume that this is not a functionality issue, but a bug of some sort. 
    I would really like to solve this issue. Alternatively, is there another way to show speech? Preferably not using menus (because I want to disable other menus during the cutscene, plus the workflow is kind of complicated with menus in that sense).
  • It's hard to say if it's a bug or not when I don't know what else is going on - you've got some custom actions there, and I'm guessing you've made some new menus, too.

I'd advise switching your Settings, Speech and Menu Managers back to their "Demo_" counterparts temporarily, and running the ActionList again.  If it then shows, revert to your own managers one-by-one until it stops working again - this'll help us narrow down the source of the problem.
  • Thank you, I will try.
  • I tried setting the managers to default, but it didn't help. 
    It seems that the dialog action is called (because I can see that the action briefly becoming active in the Action List Editor), but the text is not rendered or shown on camera . I also tried assigning the dialog to an npc, instead of the player, to no avail.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Just so we know for sure, does copying the speech Action to a Cutscene of it's own, and running that by itself cause the dialogue to play correctly?

From the looks of your last screenshot, there seems to be a wire leading down from the top right to an action beneath (or is it leading upward?).  Whether it's a bug or not, see what happens if you remove that temporarily.