Forum rules - please read before posting.

3rd Person to 1st Person Camera

Ok,so what I'm trying to do is switch from the normal 3rd person view in a 3d game to a 1st person view using a trigger. My action in the trigger is using Engine:Manage Systems with change movement method checked and movement method on first person. What is basically happening in the game, the player is going from outdoors into a building and I want to switch to FP cam upon entering that building. And of course, trigger from FP to TP upon exiting that building. When I hit the trigger nothing is happening as if it didnt exist.  I tried creating another camera as in the tutorial that sets up the FP on a prefab, but I don't want it to be permanent on the player (Mechanim). TP cam works fine I just want to be able to transition from one to the other. I probably missed something but unsure as to what. Any help would be appreciated. Btw there are no custom scripts or outside assets involved.

Comments

• You should make the camera a part of the prefab, as the tutorial suggests - it can still be there when in 3rd person, as it'll only be used when you switch to 1st person.

The approach is right, so it could just be that your prefab isn't set up properly yet.  Here are a couple of things to try:
    1. Set your game's "main" movement method to First Person, within the Settings Manager, to test if 1st person works normally, before setting the switch up.
    2. Temporarly use the Demo game's Player prefab, TinPot (found in AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources) by placing him in the scene to override your own.  He's been set up with a 1st person camera, so you can use that to determine if the problem is to do with your prefab, or with something else.
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I got it working the way I want thanks to your info. Primary problem I ran into was that there is no first person camera tag as in the tutorial. So I was a bit confused. After comparing how tinpot was set up and getting the FP camera in the right place, all went well.