Forum rules - please read before posting.

Object: Send Message custom script problem

This is the script I haven't been able to get to work:
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;
namespace AC {
public class SetLimitCamera : MonoBehaviour {
void Start () {
}
void Update () {
}
void SetLimitCam () {
GetComponent<Hotspot>().LimitToCamera(GameObject.Find(GlobalVariables.GetPopupValue (5)).GetComponent<_Camera>());

}
}
Its purpose is to make a hotspot visible through the active camera.

In the action list of the trigger that is activated on entering an area; 
the camera is switched to,
 a global variable is set to the name of this camera
 and Object : Send Message is called for each hotspot I want to be visible; using SetLimitCam as defined above.

Not errors are flagged but this appears to have no effect on hotspot visibility.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• I just discovered the Limit Visibility script in the manual. I will post again if that doesn't solve my problem.
  • I'm afraid that didn't work either. This is the simplified code:
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    namespace AC {
    public class SetLimitCamera : MonoBehaviour {
    void Start () {
    }
    void Update () {
    }
    void SetLimitCam (int on) {
    if (on == 0) {
    GetComponent<LimitVisibility> ().enabled = false;
    } else
    GetComponent<LimitVisibility> ().enabled = true;
    }

}
    The camera in the Hotspot limit camera is represented by the '0' value and the Limit Visibility camera by the '1' value. I was hoping that by enabling the limit visiblity component it would change the active camera and by disabling it I could change it back. Sadly it is behaving just as before; No error message and no effect. Any pointers would be welcome.

• The Limit Visibility script refers to purely visual visibility, not interactive.  Are you using v1.46?  The latest release introduced this exact feature into the Hotspot's Inspector: you can use it to limit a Hotspot's interactivity to a set camera.
  • I am using v1.46d. I need to switch hotspot visibility between two cameras dynamically as I have one scene with several rooms connected by doorways. Each room has a a camera and I can get the camera to switch using triggers as you show in your tutorials. The issue is that with that many rooms and doors I want only the door hotspots for the current room to be visible from that room's camera. 
    I was trying to update the relevant hotspots in my first example above.
    I'm in work at the moment but I will try to answer any questions you have about what I've done.
    Thanks for looking at this Chris. 
  • The best way would be to alter the Hotspot's "Limit to camera" field using a custom Action, in that case, e.g.:

myHotspot.limitToCamera = myNewCamera;

That would go in the Run() function of a custom action.
  • Thanks Chris. It's a lot clearer now and it's almost working. 
    I will raise another question if I can't figure out how to stop the hotspots from becoming deactivated, 
    but I will try to figure it out for myself first.