Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best way to change cameras in a square room

edited June 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hi.

I'm thinking what is the best way to change between the four cameras in a square room. I'm using "point and click" mode, by the way.

I have made a square room, divided into four quadrants, with four cameras at the center, each one getting one of the square corners, with a trigger to call the respective camera of each quadrant.

Using the trigger, when I click in one of the corners, the player walks into one of the triggers and change the camera, as it should, but some cameras doesn't get a part of the trigger and it's really hard to get the player walk through the trigger to activate her.

There is a better way to do this? I thought about using Hotspots to make the player go to a marker in the other scene (and change the camera) without the trigger (but maybe in 2D, because I made one using hotspot specific to each camera, but I get a weird effect using it in different screen proportions).

Is it possible to do something like that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Can't you rotate the triggers so that they're positioned more appropriately?  It's a little hard to visualise what you've got from your description - screenshots would help.

The idea of using hotspots and triggers to change camera is something that was covered in the 2.5D tutorial - have a look and see if it helps, the relevant section starts 42 minutes in.
  • Actually, I've done exactly the same as you do in this tutorial (even before saw it), and after some tweaks, I almost got the effect I want to.

The only problem now is the hotspot size for different screen proportions. For example, I set each hotspot position according to the 16:9 proportion, and I can travel between the cameras as it should. If I set as 4:3, the hotspots doesn't appear (because they are out of the screen proportion), or if I set to 16:10, the hotspots takes almost the entire screen sides. There is a way to set a default size to work with different screen proportions easily?

I will post some screens later when I come back to home..
  • You can enforce your aspect ratio within the Settings Manager - this will create black borders if the user selects another resolution, to make sure that can always see what you intend.  Other than that, you may have to implement a custom action to use different Hotspots based on the aspect ratio.
  • edited June 2015
    Well, I ended up using something like this to get the respective aspect ratio, made a script with the possible positions for the Hotspots for each aspect ratio (or at least 16:9/3:2/4:3), and set the correct transform.

Thanks for the tips, by the way. :)