Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can't assign Mesh Collider

Hi, I'm very new to game development and working my way through the tutorial vids.

I'm trying to do a blocky-demo scene (3D) with a plane and two primitives - using this as the navmesh for the robot character. 

I've got as far as creating the navmesh and assigning it as the default, but in the Inspector I can't assign it as the Collider and Filter. It seems to want a physical prefab mesh.

I don't know anything about making a separate navmesh - though I asked the internet over and over.

The nearest I got was this: which was how I made my default mesh without a prefab:

I can't fathom why this navmesh isn't recognised by the Inspector, when Unity let me bake it and it seems fine to me.

Comments

• I think there's a confusion here about the different NavMesh options AC provides:

For 3D games, AC provides two Navigation methods: Mesh Collider, and Unity Navigation.  Mesh Collider involves supplying the Scene Manager with a literal mesh file (created in an external 3D tool) that maps out the exact space that characters can walk.  It does not involve baking within Unity, since it is already defined.

Unity Navigation allows you to do as you have already done: bake a NavMesh directly in your scene based on the geometry within it.  It means you don't have to build it in a separate 3D tool, but you also can't change it on the fly.

The fact that you've got a field in your Scene Manager that takes a NavMesh suggests you've got your Navigation engine set to Mesh Collider - since this field won't be present when set to Unity Navigation.

This tutorial will guide you through the steps necessary to work with a baked NavMesh.  However, if you aren't making a point-and-click game, you might be able to simply change your Navigation engine setting to Unity Navigation and let that be it.

This is also covered in section 2.12 of the included Manual, and at this point in the 2.5D game tutorial.
  • Thanks that was quite helpful.

A quick note/caption in the 3D video to see section X in the 2.5D tutorial would be perfect because there you explain it concisely. And make it clear that it's a subject that needs to be elucidated in all its glory and fully understood, or chaos will ensue. 

I know this because my former game dev partner quit over this problem.