Forum rules - please read before posting.

Walk to Marker ignores Triggers

edited August 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hi Chris.

I have quite a few triggers in my levels, some just switch some bools in the background, and some are designed to stop a player. What I have noticed though, is that if the player moves through triggers as part of his WalkToMarker interaction with a hotspot, the triggers are completely ignored. This causes some serious breaks in my lovely puzzles.

Can you point to a solution / the area in the source where this is handled? 

UPDATE: read the last post, this one is asking a slightly different question. 

Comments

• Caveat: This happens to both the 'Run in background'  and 'Pause Gameplay' type triggers, which have 'cancel interactions' set to true. 
  • Woops. I realised I was asking the wrong question:

This actually works as intended when using the standard 'WalkToMarker' of a hotspot interaction.

Where it doesnt work however, is if the walking is done in an actionlist. 

My Case:
    I have a closed door that has a marker on both sides. The door has only 1 hotspot. When I click it, I have the hotspot itself set to "Do Nothing", and then I run it's Use Actionlist. In that Actionlist, I check a bool to see which of the 2 markers I should move to, and start moving. While the player is in this kind of move, it ignores triggers.
  • edited August 2015
    I believe I have found the culprit.

It is the 'wait until finish' flag in the Character > Move to Point action.

If it is turned on, it ignores triggers completely while moving.   

Any idea how I can fix this problem?

You can reproduce it n the following way:
    + Make A hotspot with a marker, but don't set it as it's 'Walk to Marker'. Instead, call the Use Actionlist when you interact with it, and give it a Character >Move to point Action with 'Wait till finished' enabled.
    + Put a trigger in between the marker and the player, and set it to whatever you want. It will not fire when the player walks through it by clicking the hotspot, using the Character > move to point action. 

• That's as intended: Triggers will not respond to collisions if you are in a Cutscene.  That's because Cutscenes are assumed to override any regular gameplay behaviour, which is what Triggers are for.

You should be able to get around it by setting the Interaction to "Run In Background".  If you need to disable player interactivity while this interaction runs, you can manually block gameplay by using the "Engine: Manage systems" Action to disable the interaction / movement systems temporarily.
  • Yeah. Figured as much. Thanks for the reply Chris.