Forum rules - please read before posting.

Default Interactions

edited June 2014 in Technical Q&A
I'm planning to use a verb-interface known from old LucasArts games, e.g. Indiana Jones 4 or Monkey Island 1-2. I've set it up in Adventure Creator so that each of the verbs (open, close, give, use, look at, push, ...) maps to an interaction cursor. So far, so good.

The issue I'm facing now is that not all objects/hotspots in the game will implement every interaction. For example, a door hotspot will implement "open" and "close", but probably not "give" or "pick up". For these cases I'd like to globally define default interactions that run when interactions are not specifically defined on the hotspot.

Is there a way to define default fallback interactions that run when no other interactions are defined?

Thanks!

Comments

• Not currently - unhandled events are only used for Inventory interactions.

I'll have a look into this - I take it you've set your game's Intertaction method to Choose Interaction Then Hotspot?
  • Yep, Choose Interaction Then Hotspot is enabled and works as expected. I've customized the Hotspot prefab to make setting up the various interaction less tedious for new objects, but it would definitely help to be able to setup some kind of global response for each interaction type.
  • I would like to be able to do what liberame suggests here too! Is it now possible?
  • It is - if your Interaction method is set to Choose Interaction Then Hotspot, each icon defined in the Cursor Manager can be assigned an "Unhandled interaction".
  • Check Pass Hotspot as GameObject parameter? below in the Cursor Manager, and then in each ActionList create a new GameObject parameter.

This will be set to the Hotspot when run, allowing you to display its name with the [paramlabel:X] token.
  • Please read the "ActionList parameters" chapter in the Manual as well as this tutorial.  Parameters are defined in an ActionList's properties box at the top of their Inspector.

Once you've defined a GameObject parameter, you can insert it into any GameObject Action field (such as the "Object: Add or remove" above), or just use it in a token text.

The "X" is the parameter's ID value.  This will need to be "0" in your case, since the GameObject parameter will have to be the first one listed.
  • PhMPhM
    edited May 2018
    Hi,
    I'm new to AC and I'm following the tutorial.
    At https://youtu.be/podNefNl958?t=2078, I think I'd prefer my users to only use the left mouse button, so I set up Hostpot then Interaction +clicking menu + click on hotspot.
    But unhandled action is NOT present anymore in Cursors!

I'd like a LookAt action to TurnToFace (or else) without having to set it up for each hotspot (and we can't copy an interaction).
    Is there a way to add unhandled actions with prefabs like with the 'Interaction then HotSpot' setting?
    This way, if there is unhandled action, it's shown up in the menu and if it's empty (both interactions and unhandled) it doesn't show up(?).

• Welcome to the community, @PhM.

The "Choose Hotspot Then Interaction" mode normally only shows icons for which interactions are defined on the Hotspot - so unhandled interactions are not necessary.

However, if "Auto-hide Interaction icons based on Hotspot?" is unchecked, then all icons will show - and unhandled interactions do indeed become appropriate.  I shall remedy this in the next release - thank you for pointing it out.
  • Thank you very much!