Forum rules - please read before posting.

Upgrade question

Hey

It's been a while since i preformed an upgrade on AC for Bolt Riley.
I'm currently still using Unity 4.6.3 -with AC 1.4.4  and Dialogue System 1.4.9.2

I want to upgrade to the latest in all of them (Unity 5.2, AC 1.4.8 and DS 1.5.5.1 )

I though maybe i would upgrade AC and DS first in Unity 4 then upgrade the project to 5. but that might be inefficient or even impossible.

Any suggestions on which order should i preform the upgrades? and reminders of what I should do or be careful of when I do the upgrade?

Oded

Comments

• I imagine you'd need to upgrade AC before DS, and DS immediately after - since it might break your project to have it outdated.

AC -> DS -> Unity sounds fine to me.  When upgrading, always be mindful of the "Upgrade notes" section for each version in the changelog file.  They're at the top of each set of release notes, and are my list of things to be specifically mindful of when upgrading.
  • Also, update AC again once you're on Unity5.  AC on Unity 5 is actually a separate package, that contains Unity 5-ready prefabs and other assets.  Not a critical step, but recommended.
  • Same for DS -- on Unity 5 it's a separate package. The order doesn't really matter as long as you ultimately update DS from inside a Unity 5 project so it grabs the Unity 5 version.
  • ok. thanks you two. I'll try to keep you posted as i get to it. I do think i have some files in both DS and AC with fixes that are different than the vanilla packages. I hope i will find them before i upgrade. I rememer a few of those just now what they are. 
  • I usually run a diff tool on the scripts folder after upgrading (comparing it with a pre-upgrade copy) to keep my local changes - much better than trying to rely on memory!

• @snebjorn yes, i realized i shoudl do that. i opened a new project for AC 1.44 and DS 1.4.9.2 then compared it with my own sources and not suprprisingly i found out diffs in a bunch of files - Ouyaintergation (cause i do stuff differently from how Chris coded it - maybe i should send you my file so you can deicde if it's better , even though soon it will bee to change to Razer instead of OUYA) and Menusystem.cs  beucase i have some custom menu actoins (maybe this file should read or overriden from some non-plugin folder instead so it won't get ran over in upgrades?)

in DS i have  some supplemental UI files but i assume that would be easy to reimport in the new version
  • Ok. Here's the first error i got. 

how do i find out which menu item's reference got lost?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AC.MenuButton.SetUIInteractableState (Boolean state) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuButton.cs:222)
    AC.Menu.SetUIInteractableState (Boolean state) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:463)
    AC.Menu.MakeUINonInteractive () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:453)
    AC.PlayerMenus.MakeUINonInteractive () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:2050)
    AC.StateHandler.Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:334)

• Hmmm. ok so here's what i did. 
    i found out that when Unity imports AC it also runs over my OWN unity UI prefabs. i reverted to my own (Ac 1.44 compatible prefabs) which inbiously caused Profile button to not be there, but now - the pause menu doesn't seem to do anything. I'm going to check the prefab references... 
  • the resume and quit buttons do work, but options save and load menus don't open. what do i do now?
  • another thing that didn't go smoothly in the upgrade - Bolt my Player doesn't go to where he's suppose when clicking the walk plane or when going to markers when interacting wiht hotspots. he starts walking there and walksin the same place not advancing. 
    does this have to do with something related to where components are in the sprite's prefab or something?
  • Did you amend the existing Demo UI prefabs, or create your own?  You can prevent the overwriting of any prefab by unchecking it in the Import window when upgrading.

To fix the Pause menu problems, you would have to look at the elements in the Menu Manager - there's no way to tell you what's wrong without knowing more about them.

Because of a change that Unity made to their physics system a while back, 2D Characters need to have their colliders placed on the sprite child, so that they don't rotate as the character moves.  If you post shots of your character's components, then we can give you more advice.
  • 1. UI PREFABS - i think what i did originally was to copy the demo prefabs to my own folder. this caused Unity to treat them as the same files and when it updates the package it overrides mine. I hope to remember this next time I upgdade. 

2. i'll send you some screenshots, from my observations - it looks like it should work, i don't see why it doesn't. everything seems to be linked fine. I'll try to compare with the demo in a vanilla project.

3. image

image i tried moving the collider to the srite child without any effect. (i might have not applied to the PF i'll retry and let you know.)
  • Moved the Circle collider to the sprite child - no change. do i also need to move the rigid body?
  • if i try adding the rigidbody2d to the child obect it falls down through the floow
  • Your original prefab was fine - I was only referring to BoxColliders that make an NPC interactive.  The CircleCollider and Rigidbody should be on the root.

You will have to elaborate on the problem, in that case.  From your description of it, you make it sound like an animation issue, in that he reaches the target destination but continue to play the walk animation.  Is that the case?
  • so leave the collider and rigidbody on the root.
    and no, that's not the case. Bolt doesn't move on the left-right axis at all. just up down. beacuse of that he can't reach it's target.
  • for example in this screenshot he loops like this and doesn't move right. 
  • maybe something here? image
  • I'm also gonna try to upgrade from unity 4.6.4. to 4.6.8 maybe that's it