Forum rules - please read before posting.

Run a single animation...

edited October 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hello! First off, just wanted to say I'm having a grand time with Adventure Creator, it's making Unity a great deal more comprehensible to me as someone moving on from AGS.

My query is this - I'm trying to get the mecanim-based player character to run a single animation, and then return to his idle state. This would be useful in-game in any number of ways, like a single pick-up, swing a punch, etc.

I've set up an animation in the Action List (StarJump). However, once he's done the animation, he doesn't return to idle, he can't walk anywhere, and he just floats away upwards. So, my questions about animations:

1) He doesn't seem to return to idle afterwards, despite the box being ticked in the action. Do I need to specify what action is "idle" somewhere?
2) "Wait Until Finish" doesn't seem to wait until he's finished, hence why I put the "pause" action in afterwards

Many thanks!

n.b. So, after a little bit of experimenting, I added a state change from StarJump to HumanoidIdle. Now the starjump animation sticks at the end for a second before returning to Idle, and both animations run at the same time, somewhat weakening the effect of the star jump. Better keep fiddling!

Comments

• edited October 2015
    With some more fiddling, I found that bringing the transition time down to 0 has both fixed the "mixing" issue that idle and starjump were having, plus also made the "wait until finish" work as well. I still haven't found how to make the character return to idle after completion, though!

(more fiddling later)

Well, here's me being daft. Just putting a transition arrow from "Starjump" to "Idle" seems to have fixed that. 
  • The "Return to Idle after?" is an issue.  Thank you for alerting me to it, I will see to it.
  • This option shouldn't actually be present if your character uses Mecanim, as it goes against the point of the Mecanim workflow: AC will only change parameter values during gameplay, so it has no concept of what "Idle" is - so this option will be removed in v1.49.