Forum rules - please read before posting.

3D Character not standing on its marks

I've finally replaced Tin Pot with my own character in the game (woot!). However, even though his pivot point is centred and at his feet in Blender, when I import him into Unity and set him up in AC, his centre seems to be placed a little way behind him, so when I test him in the game, he walks past the edge of navmeshes and stands a little ahead of each mark I put down. Is there a reason for this? Am I missing something?

He lands perfectly on the PlayerStart marker, though.

I've attached a pic of my character. I put a cube on the mark where he should be standing (because the marks disappear when you play the game). His destination accuracy is at 0.9

Comments

• sounds like something to do with your character detup. where's the pivot point of the model, and does the model have any offset centred when exported from 3d software? (i.e. was it centred)
  • As I mentioned, his pivot point is centred in the 3d software. I doubled checked and his pivot point in Unity, both the model and the prefab, are also correctly centred.
  • huh, only thing i can think of that may cause that is there is an event with translate player somewhere? 
  • Nope. When I put Tin Pot back in, he stands correctly on the marks according to where his pivot point is. Would Tin Pot (The AC Demo character) being Legacy make any difference, since my character is Mecanim? Actually no, it doesn't. I did a test and put a cube in the game, tagged it as the player and set it up like normal, and it hits the marks... of course it didn't have any actual animations on it. I did another test and put my character in again, with no animations, and he slides pretty close to the mark most times. This makes me think it has something to do with the walk animation I've put on him. I'm currently using the free unity mo-cap from the unity store. Would that make a difference?
  • If you're using root motion, it might.  Root motion gives very lifelike animation, but in practice I find it's not good if you want accurant positioning.
  • Hmm, I turned off root motion and yep, he hits his marks, but he doesn't move as well. Do you know of some trick to work around this issue?  (other than moving all my marks further back and shrinking all my navmeshes--which I can do, just wanted to know if there was some other option)
  • It could be just a case of tweaking your Mecanim parameters so that it's more responsive to stopping/starting, or playing with your "Destination accuracy" slider in the Settings Manager.
  • For anyone else who might be having this problem:

I played with the destination accuracy and there wasn't a lot of difference between .9 and 1, but when I ticked the experimental "Attempt to be super-accurate" this seemed to work well.

I also did a test where I changed my animation setting for the walk and ticked Speed Multiplier parameter (MoveSpeed), which wasn't ticked before, and my character does a nice job of slowing down as he gets closer to the mark. Also accurate enough for what I'm after.

Now I need to decide which one I like best ;)

Thanks again, Chris, for your help.