Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pick up

I tried to setup a pick up object.I did not know if it works like the draggable setup.I want my player to pick up the broom and hold it in his hands.

It is just a beginning.Need some help.

Thanks 

Comments

• A PickUp object is more like an object you pick up with the cursor - rather than put in the Player's hands.  Think of the various objects you can play around with in Amnesia games (or the rock in the Physics demo).

If you're looking to place an object in the Player's hand, you'll want to use the Character: Hold object Action.  This is used in the Demo scene, Basement, to place the Sword in Tin Pot's hand when clicked on.
  • Ok.Let us say i want to pick up the broom with the cursor and then i want to let it fall down to the earth.What am i doing wrong?   
  • The part that you click on is represented by the collider on the root object - by defauly, this is a Sphere Collider.

You need to make sure that the Collider is shaped and positioned around the broom, so that the player can click on the broom's visible space to interact with it.

Again, you need to make sure that the child object (the broom model) is cleared of it's position and rotation.  Then replace the Sphere Collider with a Box Collider.  Change the Box Collider's size/position so that it covers the broom, and then rotate the root object (not the broom) so that the broom is placed how you want, e.g. leaning against the wall.

The Rock in the Physics demo can be inspected as a practical example.
  • It is not working.Do I need a track?
  • The components all look correct, so it could be that there's something else in your scene blocking the interaction.  Are any gameplay-blocking cutscenes running at the time, or colliders between the PickUp and the camera that could get in the way of the mouse cursor?

Add a Hotspot component to the base, but don't give it any Interactions.  Does "PickUp" appear in your Hotspot menu when you mouse over it?
  • No gameplay-blocking cutscenes,no colliders.Do you mean adding a hotspot component to the pick up object?I did that but nothing shows up.
  • I give up.  Send me the scene and I shall take a look.
  • Ok.Thanks a lot.

• I deactivated the setgeometry,put a simple plane in the scene with my player and the pickup object with the broom being active and everything works.Seems to be a layer problem.

Thanks 

• Hi,

it was a layer problem.I set the setgeometry to the default layer and also
    the pick up object with the childed broom and it works.Isnt it a problem to put
    the setgeometry to the default layer?

Thanks